engage Super League Rd 25 Review

Leeds Rhinos 54 Tries: Gibson, Burrow, Smith, Ablett, Lauititi, Tansey 3, Webb, McGuire Goals: Sinfield 6, Ellis

Castleford Tigers 12 Tries: Owen, Dorn Goals: Dixon 2

Att: 17,354

Leeds Rhinos ran in 10 tries to demolish Castleford Tigers at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

The Tigers, who were missing influential scrim-half Brett Sherwin, suffered an early blow when hooker Scott Moore was sin-binned for a late challenge on Kevin Sinfield. Leeds made the most of their one-man advantage by scoring two tries from Ashley Gibson and Rob Burrow. Richard Owen gave Castleford some hope but tries from Lee Smith, Carl Ablett, and Ali Lauitiiti gave the Rhinos a 24-6 lead at the break.

After the break the champions kept the pressure on Jordan Tansey and Brent Webb both went over to increase their advantage. Luke Dorn pulled one back for Castleford, but Leeds again responded with Tansey completing a hat-trick in the last minute, with an 80-meter interception. West Tigers bound Gareth Ellis rounded off the scoring with a conversion from underneath the posts.

The win for Leeds clinched them a top-two finish and condemned the Tigers to the wooden-spoon.

Wigan Warriors 32 Tries: Smith, J. Tomkins, Higham, Phelps, Leuluai Goals: Richards 6

Wakefield Wildcats 22 Tries: Sculthorpe, Wilkes, Macgillivray Goals: Brough 5

Att: 12,319

12-men Wigan Warriors clinched their top-six finish by beating Wakefield Wildcats in a hard-fought game at the JJB Stadium.

Danny Brough kicked two penalty goals as the Wildcats opened up a 4-0 lead. Ex Eel Tim Smith scored his first try for the Warriors to give them the lead and further scores from Thomas Leuluai and Cameron Phelps gave Wigan a 16-4 lead at the break despite having full-back Richard Mathers being sent off for an elbow on wildcats skipper Jason Demetriou.

Wakefield made the most of their one man advantage and hit back with tries from Danny Sculthorpe and Duncan Macgillivray to level. Pat Richards kicked Wigan back in front and they increased their lead when Mickey Higham burrowed his way over from dummy half.

Oliver Wilkes narrowed the gap to 26-22 for the Wildcats with a converted try, but a late score from Joel Tomkins sealed the points for the hosts.

Huddersfield Giants 20 Tries: Aspinwall, Hodgson, Kirmond Goals: Thorman 4

Catalans Dragons 22 Tries: Murphy, Gorrell, Mogg 2 Goals: Bosc 3

Att: 12,127

Catalans Dragons edged past Huddersfield Giants at the Galpharm Stadium to virtually guarantee third spot in the engage Super League table.

Huddersfield started the better and scored first through Martin Aspinwall. Justin Murphy drew Catalans level but an 80-meter break a way from David Hodgson gave the hosts a 10-4 lead. A mistake by Giants led to an Aaron Gorrell try just before the break as the visitors only trailed 12-10.

The Giants extended their lead after the break to 6-points with two penalty goals from Chris Thorman. Adam Mogg breathed new life into the French-side by scoring brace and with the kicking of Thomas Bosc the away-side took the lead at 22-20 after 70 minutes. Huddersfield tried to snatch the game but Catalans held on for a much needed win.

Earlier, Huddersfield chairman Ken Davy's decision to allow free admission to hear his announcement of cut-price season tickets paid off, as this was the club