The NSW Blues have been named for the first game of the 2017 #Origin series.
2 days ago - 2 Likes
Smith's manager Sam Ayoub on Monday revealed the 30-year-old had been sounded out by a couple of Australian clubs, including Canberra, but was likely to remain in England to take up a new two-year-deal.
Another former Queensland player - halfback Adrian Lam - is also ready to sign another deal with English powerhouse Wigan to extend his stay in the Super League.
Lam captained the Maroons in 1999 and 2000 before leaving the Sydney Roosters for England.
Ayoub is expected to secure a new deal for the 31-year-old when Wigan boss Maurice Lindsay flies to Australia with the Great Britain side later this week.
One player who is believed to be heading home is New Zealand test centre Tonie Carroll, who has a get-out clause in his contract with Leeds.
Carroll has been linked with a return to Brisbane, where he played a part in the Broncos' 1997, 1998 and 2000 premiership wins before heading to England.
In other news, St George Illawarra will concentrate on signing NSW prop Luke Bailey to a new deal this week before shoring up its remaining player stocks.
The Dragons are resigned to losing halfback Willie Peters, with South Sydney in line to announce the signing of the No.7 later this week.
St George Illawarra has an option on Bailey for next season but chief executive Peter Doust said he was attempting to extend the Blues forward's contract beyond that.
"There's a couple of others who are in the melting pot," Doust said.
"It's a process that's complex. We have to sign (Bailey) first to find out where we sit with the (salary) cap."
However, Doust said he had been assured by second rower Justin Smith that he had not signed a deal with South Sydney, as was reported at the weekend.
Smith has been impressive for the Dragons in recent weeks and is off contract at the end of the season.