Our thanks to Andrew Ferguson for his 2014 piece recounting the story of Edward Larkin, who among ot...
2 days ago - 11 Likes
Queanbeyan City Council has endorsed the proposal presented by the Raiders to host the trial match at Seiffert Oval in 2015 and have committed $1 million to upgrading the facility over the course of the next financial year.
The Raiders and Knights have both formally agreed to play the trial match at the venue on Saturday February 21, 2015.
Canberra Raiders Football Manager John Bonasera said the Raiders are delighted to be able to have a trial match at Seiffert Oval and said it was an opportunity to celebrate the history of the club and the Queanbeyan region's involvement in the formation of the Raiders.
"Seiffert Oval is the spiritual home of the Raiders and we're proud to be able to play a trial match against the Knights at our original home ground from 1982," Bonasera said. "The Raiders have had a long standing connection to the Queanbeyan region, with names such as Glen Lazarus, Ricky Stuart and Terry Campese all coming from the area, while the Raiders were born from the support of the Queanbeyan Leagues Club and founding father Les McIntyre in 1982.
"It's a chance to take a game back to Seiffert Oval and celebrate the rich heritage of the club and remember where we came from."
Newcastle Knights General Manager of Football Warren Smiles said the Knights look forward to the reciprocal trial match in Canberra.
"It is great to have our 2015 trial match against the Canberra Raiders locked in," Smiles said.
"We were fortunate to host Canberra last year when we took our trial match to Tamworth and as a reciprocal agreement, we play Canberra at their preferred venue."