Super League fans down under rejoice! Last night it was confirmed we'll be seeing Wigan Warriors and...
33 hours ago - 3 Likes
A lack of conclusive video evidence is expected to form part of Jarrod Saffy's defence at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night after the St George Illawarra forward on Tuesday pleaded not guilty to biting Canberra halfback Todd Carney.
The Dragons will aim to raise enough doubt over Carney's claim he was bitten on the right forearm by Saffy while making a tackle in the 32nd minute of Saturday's match at Canberra Stadium in a bid to get the 23-year-old off his charge of contrary conduct.
"We have pleaded not guilty, we will take our case and Jarrod's case to the judiciary tomorrow night and we'll have a strong case," chief executive Peter Doust said.
Bulldogs forward Brad Morrin was banned for eight matches last year after pleading guilty to biting Parramatta's Timana Tahu.
The Eels threw up a host of scenarios as to why Melbourne prop Brett White believed he had been bitten by Moimoi in 2006 - including blaming Moimoi's arm guard - which along with a lack of video evidence led to him getting off the charge.
The Dragons will be hoping to raise similar doubt on Wednesday, with replays not clearly showing the incident.
Carney is expected to give evidence at the hearing - either via a statement or phone interview.
Since making the allegation to referee Gavin Badger, the Raiders star has remained steadfast in his claim of being bitten.
But he has also said he did not want to see the Dragon banned, despite the alleged incident leaving him with several tooth marks and a bruise on his right forearm.
Gallen was outed for three weeks with the early plea.
North Queensland five-eighth Travis Burns also received a one-match ban after pleading guilty to a dangerous throw.
Both Brisbane winger Reece Robinson (dangerous throw) and Melbourne veteran Matt Geyer (contrary conduct, unnecessary face contact) have avoided suspension after entering early pleas.