New Zealand Rugby LeagueClick here to view New Zealand Rugby League 2013
The New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) is the governing body for the sport of rugby league football in New Zealand. The NZRL was founded on the 25 April 1910 in preparation for a tour of Great Britain that same year.
The NZRL administers the Kiwis, the New Zealand national team. Currently they manage the National Zonal Competition, a seven Zone national competition played at 15s, 17s and Premiers, as well as many age group and school competitions. They have previously managed the now defunct Lion Red Cup and Bartercard Cup competitions.
The NZRL is an incorporated society under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908. The current patron of the NZRL is Sir Peter Leitch, who replaced Helen Clark in the role in 2011.
- 1 History
- 2 Staff
- 3 Zones
- 4 Legends of League
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In April 1910, the New Zealand Rugby League was formed for the purpose of administering the new code in New Zealand and "with the blessing of the Northern Rugby Football Union, on the condition that the Auckland District would not have the management of the entire game in New Zealand".
Throughout New Zealand, the sport is administered by seven Zones and has fifteen districts and seven Affiliates;
Legends of League
47 players have been inducted since the Legends of League was introduced in 1995.
2012 Inductees (Wellington centenary)
2013 Inductees (Canterbury centenary)
- Rugby League in New Zealand
- New Zealand Kiwis
- Bartercard Cup
- "New Zealand Rugby League Contact Details". New Zealand Rugby League. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- SPARC, 2009: 13
- Coffey and Wood The Kiwis: 100 Years of International Rugby League ISBN 1-86971-090-8
- Sir Peter Leitch takes over as NZRL patron stuff.co.nz, 28 March 2011
- John Coffey & Bernie Wood (2008). 100 Years: Maori Rugby League, 1908-2008. New Zealand: Huia Publishers. p. 61. ISBN 978-1-86969-331-2.
- SPARC, 2009: 15
- Appointments to NZRL Board rleague.com, 2 June 2012
- nzrl.co.nz. "Legends of League". History. New Zealand Rugby League. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- New legends inducted as part of 100 year celebrations nzrl.co.nz, 4 June 2013
- Independent Review Committee (February 2009). "Rugby League - Contributing to New Zealand's Future". New Zealand: SPARC. Archived from the original on 2010-10-01. Retrieved 13 December 2009.
Latest Competition News
Join our Mailing List
For updates on your favourite competitions, latest news, and weekly reviews, why not join our mailing list?
- European Super League
- Forum Sevens
- National Rugby League
- New Zealand Rugby League
- NRL Supporter Sites
- NSW and Qld Rugby League
- Other Sites
- Rugby League History
- Rugby League Supporters
Off the Wall
December 9th 2013 07:18pm by Jeff Wall
A View From The Hill - Saturday 7th December.
December 6th 2013 11:35am by Radio LeagueUnlimited
Matt Ryan heading for Super League
December 6th 2013 08:34am by Parramatta Eels
Brenko Lee Re-Signs with the Raiders
December 5th 2013 03:27pm by Canberra Raiders
2014 NRL Draw Analysis
December 4th 2013 03:51pm by League