Sunday March 16, 2014 @ 03:00pm
Gold Coast Titans
Wests Tigers
Cbus Super Stadium
Half time Score: 6
Crowd: 12038
Half time Score: 22

Match Review

The Wests Tigers have trounced the Gold Coast Titans 42 points to 12 in front of 12,038 fans at Cbus Super Stadium this afternoon. Robbie Farah dominated the ruck off the back of his workhorse pack with custodian James Tedesco chiming in superbly to demoralise the home side.

Gold Coast Titans gave their members little to be happy about in Member’s Round at Robina. The Titans and their fans wilted in the heat and the onslaught on the field from the Tigers. From the get go the Tigers looked like they were running downhill as the Titans had no answer to their energetic and up tempo play. 

Robbie Farah was the catalyst for just about everything good for the Tigers and it was following a Farah bust early in the tackle count that mercurial winger Pat Richards opened the scoring in the left corner. Simple hands movement ended with Richards running into a yawning gap in the 4th minute. Farah then opened the Titans up again and on the end of that set it was rookie Luke Brooks grubbering perfectly for James Tedesco to score under the posts to make the score 10 nil after 7 minutes. 

A contentious video ref decision ruling against the on field ref who had awarded the try to Martin Taupau followed which meant that the Titans were lucky to only be down by 10. 

An injury to Chris Lawrence (hamstring) had Tigers fans worried and when Greg Bird split the defence and found Aidan Sezer in support for a try the Titans looked like a different side. Albert Kelly then made his obligatory long break downfield and David Mead looked set to score however he lost the ball in a heavy tackle. That seemed to be the turning point in the half with the Tigers going on to bag two more tries, to Richards (31st minute) and ex-Titan Bodene Thompson (38th minute). 

A half time score of 22-6 to the Tigers meant that the Titans had to be first out of the blocks in the second stanza. The exact opposite happened as the Tigers again lead by Farah started with a 70 metre set and had a try disallowed but went over legitimately a minute later through David Nofoaluma, hitting a Brooks inside ball perfectly. 

The game then became a 'scrapathon' as the Titans could not hold onto it and the Tigers smelt blood. Martin Taupau strolled through a gap in the 59th minute and the only question left was the Tigers by how much. An 80 metre special from Albert Kelly was the only bright spot for the Titans who will be sweating on the fitness of hard man Greg Bird (shoulder) and Beau Falloon (knee). 

The highlight of the second half was a superb team try finished by Luke Brooks who regathered a grubber from Tedesco who himself had gathered up a chip from Farah. 

A final score of 42-12 fairly reflected the Tigers absolute domination in this game and the Titans have a lot of work to do before round 3 whilst the Tigers will fly back to Sydney with smiles as wide as some of the gaps in the Titans ruck defence.

Players of the Match

3. Robbie Farah

2. Aaron Woods

1. James Tedesco

Your 2 Cents