Monday April 21, 2014 @ 04:00pm
Parramatta Eels
Wests Tigers
ANZ Stadium
Half time Score: 8
Crowd: 50668
Half time Score: 6

Match Review

The Wests Tigers have left it late to beat the Parramatta Eels 21-18 in front of 50,668 fans in an Easter Monday classic at ANZ Stadium.

In an exciting first half, the Tigers were their own worst enemy, making eight unforced errors in the opening 40, most of which came when they were in good attacking range.

The Eels on the other hand, made the most of their opportunities as Jarryd Hayne continued to show glimpses of his 2009 form, which lead the Eels to a grand final appearance that year, scoring the opening two tries of the match.

Hayne opened the scoring in the 9th minute as he found some space out wide from an Eels set play to score in the corner. Hayne's second was just brute strength followed by a burst of speed as he busted through a couple of weak tackles before racing into the corner for his second of the afternoon in the 24th minute.

The Tigers didn't finish the half empty handed however. After being denied a try in the 31st minute when Sitaleki Akauola dropped the ball reaching for the try line, Blake Austin broke through some tired Eels defence to score just before the break.

The second half seemed to see a change in momentum every 10 minutes with neither side being able to assert their dominance over the opposition for long periods.

The Tigers opened the second half scoring in the 45th minute when Luke Brooks pounced on a loose ball from Jarryd Hayne before running 80 metres to score in the corner. The Eels hit back on 51 minutes when Jarryd Hayne chipped to Ken Sio in the corner who picked the ball up around his ankles to score.

When Chris Sandow kicked a 40/20 in the 64th minute to give the Eels good field position you felt they were on the verge of wrapping up the win but once again ill-discipline gifted the Tigers a try. For the second time in the half a loose pass lead to an intercept, with Pat Richards the man to take advantage this time, racing almost the entire length of the field to score under the black dot.

Once again the Eels hit back through Semi Radradra to bring the scores level but ultimately it was another Eels mistake, this time a knock on by Tim Mannah, which lead to a Luke Brooks field goal, to give the Tigers 19-18 lead.

Pat Richards made sure of the result with a last minute penalty goal from halfway which secured a three point win for the Tigers.

Once again, consistency in refereeing decisions will be a talking point coming out of this match with Will Hopoate denied a 72nd minute try for obstruction in a decision that seemed to fly in the face of the controversial decision in the Manly v North Queensland match on Friday night.

On a more positive note, a man of the match performance from Aaron Woods continues to see him knock on the door for New South Wales State of Origin selection. His 108 metres and 36 tackles will surely put him right at the top of the list of Origin bolters for Laurie Daley to consider come next month.

Next week the Eels head north to Townsville to face the inconsistent Cowboys, while the Tigers have another Sunday arvo date with the Leichhardt faithful when they host the high-flying Gold Coast Titans.

Players of the Match

3. Aaron Woods

2. Jarryd Hayne

1. Adam Blair

Your 2 Cents