Monday June 2, 2014 @ 07:00pm
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St. George Illawarra Dragons
ANZ Stadium
Half time Score: 18
Crowd: 11771
Half time Score: 4

Match Review

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have scored a 29-10 win over the St George Illawarra Dragons in front of just over 11,000 fans at ANZ Stadium.

The Dragons were looking to fire for new coach Paul McGregor who shook things up with some surprising positional announcements pre-game, Souths on the other hand were looking to get back into the top 8 and with a big enough win they could move to 4th on the ladder.

Before we could get points on the board, our usual serving of Video Referee controversy arose when Video Referee Steve Chiddy and Luke Patten overturned the on field TRY decision of referee Shayne Hayne for a George Burgess try that replays suggested there was little evidence to overturn the on field call.

The Dragons looked to have crossed with a miracle try but that was also sent upstairs and this time correctly overturned by the Video Referees with replays showing Peter Mata'utia put his foot on the touch in goal line.

Finally, points were awarded when Sam Burgess crossed the line although that too brought its own controversy with replays suggesting that Sam had lost the ball before it got to the line, but it was still awarded by the Video Referees.

Thankfully the rest of the match was controversy free Joel Reddy crossing for a first half double to take the Rabbitohs out to an 18-0 lead before some good work saw Gerard Beale cross in the corner on the stroke of halftime to bring the score back to 18-4 at halftime.

Like the first half the points were hard to come by in the opening 20 minutes of the half and it wasn't until Adam Reynolds got a lucky rebound off his kick that the Rabbitohs got on the board for the first time in the second half and the score went to 22-4.

The Rabbitohs then crossed for another try when Dylan Walker brushed off some feeble defence to get a well-deserved try and after he converted his own try the Rabbitohs went out to 28-4.

A consolation try came the way off the Dragons when Tyson Frizell was on the end of a Gareth Widdop tap back to score and bring the score to 22-10.

Adam Reynolds ensured that there was no way back for the Dragons by putting a field goal over to bring the score to 29-10 where it ended up.

Next weekend, the Dragons return to Wollongong to take on the out of form Cronulla Sharks but in the meantime have a nervous wait with Mitch Rein put on report for a Dangerous Throw, meanwhile the Rabbitohs travel to the Wild West to take on the New Zealand Warriors at NIB Stadium in Perth.

Players of the Match

3. Dylan Walker

2. Sam Burgess

1. Joel Reddy

Your 2 Cents