Saturday June 21, 2014 @ 07:30pm
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Shark Park
Half time Score: -
Crowd: 13383
Half time Score: 16

Match Review

The Cronulla Sharks have been assigned to the history books tonight becoming the first team to suffer three straight losses without crossing for a single point. The Manly Sea Eagles produced a dominant performance, handing the Sharks a 26-0 shutout in front of 13383 fans at Remondis Stadium.

The scoring opened in just the 4th minute of play when Manly fullback Brett Stewart made a break down the left hand side to set up back-rower Justin Horo to crash over. Captain Jamie Lyon added the extras giving his team an early 6-0 lead.

Manly were looking to move the ball around early tonight and it was again Stewart who chimed into the Manly backline to send Steve Matai into some space. Matai showed good footwork and strength to wrestle his way over in the 19th minute. Lyon again converted to give Manly a 12-0 lead.

The Manly captain would soon chime in for a try of his own. In one of the few times Manly sent the ball right in the first half, Daly Cherry-Evans found some space with a neat dummy and sent his skipper over in the 31st minute for an eventual 16-0 halftime lead.

In what proved a couple of cruel blows to the home team's chances tonight, they had two video referee decisions go against them either side of the halftime break. The first just before the break looked a particularly tough call after it appeared winger Sosaia Feki had regained control in a spectacular put down.

In a stunning entry to the game it was Manly back-rower Tom Symonds who would seal the deal for Manly with back to back tries in the 54th and 57th minutes. Symonds first try came after running onto a well-timed pass from Cherry-Evans but it was his second moments later that really set the game alight.

After sending the ball right Lyon put a chip kick back on the inside for a flying Brett Stewart who caught the ball at full stretch before sending Symonds over giving his team a 26-0 lead which is how the score would finish.

The Sharks had a number of opportunities in the final quarter but lacked the attacking fluency to break the Manly defence resulting in an unwanted entry into the record books in what has already been a horror season so far.

Next week they will head up to Suncorp Stadium on Friday night for another tough assignment against the Broncos.

Manly will also play next Friday night in what should prove another blockbuster against their Grand Final conquerors of last year, the Sydney Roosters at Brookvale Oval.

Players of the Match

3. Brett Stewart

2. Steve Matai

1. Jamie Buhrer

Your 2 Cents