2014 Tetley's Challenge Cup - Round 4 Review

Tetley's Challenge Cup Round 4 Review by Simon Reuben

The fourthย round of the Tetley's Challenge Cup saw all the Super League teams enter the fray on the Road to Wembley and produced some dramatic games.

First of these was on Thursday night in an enthralling contest at the KC Stadium, whereย Salford Red Devils edged past Hull FC 37-36 after Golden Point extra time. Joe Arundel got things underway early on before Francis Meli levelled for the visitors.

Rangi Chase cut through for one himself then both Arundel and Meli added doubles as Salford led 18-16 at the break. Hull then added two more from Fetuli Talanoa and Jordan Rankin but the visitors would not go away and Theo Fages reduced the gap to 30-24.

Jamie Shaul and a Ben Crooks goal looked to have won it for the Black and Whites but Junior Sa'u gave the Red Devils some hope and with seconds left on the clock a long pass by Chase got Meli over in the corner for his hat-trick.

Jake Mullaney kicked the touchline goal to take the game to Golden Point Extra time and seven minutes into the first period Chase slotted over the one pointer to knock out last year's runners up and Send Salford into the last 16.

The other dramatic and controversial game was St Helens claiming the narrowest of wins at Huddersfield Giants 17-16. The unbeaten Saints made much the better start and raced into an 8-0 lead, inside 15 minutes, thanks to scores from Adam Swift and Tommy Makinson.

However, the Giants finally got into the game and turned things round Shaun Lunt and Joe Wardle both touchdown with skipper Danny Brough adding one goal to make it 10-8 at half time.

In this epic contest, the Giants struck again on 57 minutes when Grix sent Lunt over for his second try. Brough's second goal made it 16-8 then the hosts were dealt a huge blow but as Brett Ferres was shown a red card for a dangerous tackle on Jonny Lomax and Saints immediately made the extra man count, with Makinson making it a double by going over in the right hand corner.

Luke Walsh cut the gap to just two points and setup a tense finish and we were all square six minutes from time when Walsh added a penalty goal.

Then the controversy when Danny Brough looked to have won it for the hosts, with a drop goal, but the referee Phil Bentham ruled it out without checking with the video referee when some TV replay angles showed the kick might have gone over.

St Helens went down the other end and with seconds remaining the ex Penrith Panther Walsh made no mistake with his one-pointer to put Saints thorugh to the next round as they kept up their 100% start to the season.

Warrington Wolves continued their recent good record in the Tetley's Challenge Cup with a hard-fought 28-24 win at Hull KR.

Ryan Atkins touched down for a brace as the Wolves came from behind after Cockayne and Adam Walker fired the Robins into a 12-0 lead.

Rhys Evans and Ade Gardner traded scores early in the second period before

Atkins' second on 62 minute, gave Warrington a useful cushion and Roy Asotasi made sure of the win by scoring himself.

Omari Caro crashed over with four minutes left to set up a tense finale, but Warrington held on for the win.

Leeds Rhinos had little difficulty in thrashing local rivals Wakefield Wildcats at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium 60-6, as they looked for a first success in this competition since 1999. Carl Ablett, Ryan Hall and Rob Burrow each crossed twice as the Wildcats conceded 11 tries in a one-way contest. Pita Godinet was solitary try scorer for the hosts.

Catalan ran out comfortable winners over London Broncos in Perpignan 40-24. Leon Pryce ran the show for the Dragons and opened the scoring in the fourth minute. Louis Anderson' brace Thomas Bosc, Daryl Millard, Antoni Maria and Morgan all got on the scoresheet.

Denny Solomona, Mason Caton-Brown, Iliess Macani and Nick Slyney scored London's tries as they still look for their first win this year.

Holders Wigan eventually wore down Dewsbury Rams to run out easy winners 58-6 at the Tetley's Stadium. Star of the show was young Wigan winger Joe Burgess who helped himself to four tries.

Elsewhere, Halifax gave Widnes Vikings a fright as the Championship outfit led 10-6 at the break, but Kevin Brown made sure there would be no shock as the Vikings ran out comfortable winners 34-10 in the end.

Luke Gale scored a hat-trick as bottom of the Super League table side Bradford Bulls thrashed Oldham 60-6 as new owner Marc Green was able to celebrate victory in his first home game at the helm.

Justin Carney scored a hat-trick and made another as Castleford eased into the Challenge Cup fifth round following a 48-10 victory at Batley.


Hull FC 36 - 37 Salford Red Devils Att: 5,963

Catalan Dragons 40 - 24 London Broncos Att: 3,834

Dewsbury Rams 6 - 58 Wigan Warriors Att: 3,054

Sheffield Eagles 70 - 28 London Skolars Att: 505

Batley Bulldogs 10 - 48 Castleford Tigers Att: 2,482

Bradford Bulls 60 - 6 Oldham Att: 2,788

Doncaster 68 - 18 Hemel Stags Att: 348

Featherstone Rovers 66 - 0 North Wales Crusaders Att: 1,312

Halifax 10 - 34 Widnes Vikings Att: 2,271

Hull KR 24 - 28 Warrington Wolves Att: 4,911

Hunslet Hawks 27 - 10 Workington Town Att: 504

Keighley Cougars 54 - 28 Barrow Raiders Att: 823

Rochdale Hornets 22 - 28 Leigh Centurions Att:1,007

Swinton Lions 31 - 28 York City Knights Att: 427

Wakefield Wildcats 6 - 60 Leeds Rhinos Att:4,482

Huddersfield Giants 16 - 17 St Helens Att:7,150

Fifth Round Draw

The draw as already took place for the fifth round and it provided one mouth-watering tie as Leeds Rhinos will get revenge for last week's defeat by taking on the unbeaten St Helens at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

Other notable ties are Salford Red Devils entertaining Widnes Vikings and Catalan Dragons travelling to Odsal to take on the Bradford Bulls.

Tetley's Challenge Cup 5th Round Draw:-

Wigan Warriors V Hunslet Hawks

Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers

Leeds Rhinos v St Helens

Warrington Wolves v Doncaster

Salford Red Devils v Widnes Vikings

Bradford Bulls v Catalan Dragons

Swinton Lions v Keighley Cougars

Castleford Tigers v Sheffield Eagles

Ties to be played on the weekend of April 26-27