BARLA edeged out by late score

South West Metro Waratahs 36 v 30 BARLA Great Britain Lions Hillier Oval, Liverpool, Sydney

The Lions went down to their second defeat of the tour against a South West Metro Waratah side which contained several players who have played at first grade level. The Lions put up a superb performance but lost to a converted try six minutes from time when Waratah's second row forward Gavin Robinson twisted and turned from the play the ball before driving over the whitewash.

The Lions had a chance in the last minute following a 40 metre break from hooker Gary Weymes, but two tackles later they spilled the ball and the chance had gone. It was a game that ebbed and flowed and even in defeat BARLA Great Britain did the amateur game proud.

With the wind behind them in the first half the Waratah's played to the conditions and took the lead on 10 minutes. Scrum half Shannon Thorne collected a beautiful chip from his stand off Matthew Naden before racing thirty metres to score in the corner. Naden missing with the conversion.

The Lions were level four minutes later when from a play the ball twenty metres out scrum half Danny Kilshaw passed out to stand off John McMullen who side stepped through the gap to score. Centre Carl Rudd couldn't add the extras.

Tries in the 18 minute, following a blindside burst by Waratah's centre Moses Alone and a twenty fifth minute move involving Naden, Thorne and Alone, finished off by winger David Chatfield, opened up an advantage and Naden's extras made it 14-4.

In between the two tries Weymes scored a try for the Lions which was disallowed for a forward pass. However, they hit back when a move involving Kilshaw, Corfield and a long pass from loose forward and captain Tommy Goulden saw centre Paul Egan beat the cover defence to score a superb try. Three minutes later following a penalty, Gouldens try converted by Rudd tied the scores at 14-14.

As a result of three quick penalties against them, BARLA's Weymes was sin-binned on 35 minutes for a professional foul and from the resulting penalty Waratah prop Brian King bulldozed over for a converted score.

With time running out in the first period, on the stroke of half time it was all square at 20 all, after Corfield passed inside to Goulden whose pass found fullback Danny Tyrrell to score the first of his brace.

In the second half and with the wind behind them, the Lions took the lead for the first time in the game when Rudd converted a fifty-metre penalty and the tourists led 22-20.

The score continued to change hands and four minutes later Waratah full back Brendon Jones scored an unconverted try following another penalty, before the Lions regained a 26-24 lead on 61 minutes when Tyrrell went in again following a superb long pass from substitute Paul Toole.

Four minutes later the hosts scored a controversial try following a bomb to the corner. Full back Tyrrell couldn't take the bomb that appeared to be knocked forward by the home side before Naden touched down. After consulting with his touch judge, referee Adam Neale awarded the score and Naden added the extras for a 30-26 lead.

Despite the disappointment, the Lions put that behind them and drew level again on 68 minutes as they ran a penalty and were rewarded as Rudd crossed in the corner. Unfortunately Toole failed with the conversion.

Then came Robinson's decisive try and despite the sin-binning of the home sides' loose forward Andrew Manousso, the hosts held out despite late Lions pressure.

The Lions now move onto to Erskinville Oval, a ground switch from the original fixture.


South West Metro Waratahs:

1.Brendon Jones, 2. David Chatfield 3. Sione Tonga 4. Moses Alone 5. Ronald Duncan 6. Matthew Naden 7. Shannon Thorne 8. Brendon Lewis 9. Dennis Thorne 10. Brian King 11. Gavin Robinson 12. Jamie Whitton 13. Andrew Manousso


14. Ricky Smith 15. Dwayne Knight 16. Ronald Jones 17. Brad Cummins 18. Gregg Bussell 19. Danny Hawes 20. Martin Williams 21. Glen Richie 22. Graeme Donovan 23. Shane Lock

Tries: Thorne (10), Alone (18), Chatfield (25), King (36), Jones (46), Naden (65), Robinson (74). Goals: Naden 4/7 Sin bin: Manousso (fighting) MOM: Matthew Naden BARLA Great Britain Lions:

1. Matthew Rogers 2. Chris Lee 3. Carl Rudd 4. Paul Egan 5. Lawrence Wildbore 6. John McMullen 7. Danny Kilshaw 8. Scott Teare 9. Gary Weymes 10. Paul Raftery 11. Paul Davidson 12. Dave Price 13. Tommy Goulden


14. Danny Tyrrell, 15. Paul Toole 16. Terry Lynn 17. Gavin Last 18. Lee Wingfield 19. Dave Goddard 20. Mark Deans

Tries: McMullen (14), Egan (28), Goulden (31), Tyrrell (39, 61), Rudd (68) Goals: Rudd 2/5, Toole 0/1. Sin bin: Weymes (pro foul) MOM: Chris Lee

Penalties: 10/10

Referee: Adam Neale

Australia Tour 2004 Fixtures:

Game 1 - Tuesday 22nd June 10 v 22 Manly-Warringah A Grade Rep Side Manly, Sydney Kick Off: 2.30pm (BST)

Game 2 - Saturday 26th June 36 v 30 South West Metro Waratahs Hillier Oval, Liverpool, Sydney Kick Off: 2.30pm (BST)

Game 3 - Saturday 3rd July v Redfern All Blacks Redfern Oval, Redfern, Sydney Kick Off: 2.30pm (BST)

Game 4 - Saturday 10th July v Australian Aboriginals - TEST MATCH Kitchener Oval, Gunnedah Country, NSW Kick Off: 3.30pm (BST)

Game 5 - Wednesday 14th July v Combined North Coast Kempsey, NSW Kick Off: 3.00pm (BST)

Game 6 - Saturday 17th July v Combined Police/Corrective Services Venue TBA, Sydney Kick Off: 4.00pm (BST)