Bartercard Cup - Round 6 results

Round 6 of New Zealand's Bartercard Cup competition had a mix of the predictable and surprise.

First up on Friday night in a wet, windy and cold Wellington evening, the visiting Glenora Bears put on a fine performance considering the conditions to beat the home side soundly by 44 - 22.

Glenora 42 (T. Faapito 2, A. Clyde 2, J. Rua 2, K. Edmondson, L.Tamatoa, S. Halatoa tries; T. Edwards 3 goals) defeated

Wellington 22 (N. Taumoli, S. Ratu, J. Tamanika, M. So'otaga tries; T. Pickering 3 goals). Halftime: 24-10.

Hibiscus Coast Raiders continued on their winning way, and remaining the only unbeaten side in the competition. Playing in Palmerston North the Raiders certainly did not have it their on way, with the Central Falcons scoring 6 tries against them. The final scre of 40 - 28 was a good indication of the speed the game was played at.

Hibiscus Coast Raiders 40 (R. Wigg 2, D. Floyd, S. Ata, D. Jones, T. Rainera, T. Nikora tries; Floyd 6 goals) defeated

Central Falcons 28 (J. Henderson 2, W. Live, N. Coburn, B. Hekenui, D. Cook tries; D. Wilson 2 goals).

A great battle was predicted between the Manuwera Marlins and the Eastern Tornadoes, and the crowd gathered was not disappointed. The Tornadoes came away with the win which now moves them into the top 5 on the ladder.

Eastern Tornadoes 36 (D. Fisiiahi 3, P. Fisiiahi, J. Murphy, W. Su'a, H. Rangi tries; J. Noble 4 goals) defeated

Manurewa Marlins 24 (B. Ingram, T. Pamatangi, D. Hemopo, D. Letele tries; Hemopo 4 goals). Halftime: 20-6.

As predicted, it was a bit of a one sided affair when the Taranaki Wildcats travelled up to Auckland to take on the Mt Albert Lions on their home turf. The Lions kept the visitors scoreless, thrashing them by 92 - 0, and left the Wildcats lanquishing at the bottom of the table, winless.

Mt Albert Lions 92 - Taranaki Wildcats 0.

The Canterbury Bulls suffered their 2nd away loss when the played Marist Richmond Brothers in Auckland on Saturday. A close halftime score of 10-4 to Marist set the scene for a battle in the second half. In the end the home side were just too strong, coming out the victors by 26 - 12.

Marist Richmond Brothers 26 (R. Henry, H. Turau, M. Taleepa, K. Guttenbeil, T. Latu tries; J. Ropati 3 goals) defeated

Canterbury Bulls 12 (E. Hei Hei, S. Beyers tries; J. O'Brien 2 goals). Halftime: 10-4.

The Sunday game turned into a bit of a surprise when the Otahuhu Leopards travelled across the bridge to take on North Harbour Tigers. The Tigers were expected to beat the Leopards, who were yet to win a game and who had basically struggled in the competition. Otahuhu obviously were not going lie down easily and what eventuated was a very tough battle ending in an 18 all draw.

North Harbour Tigers 18 (G. McPherson, K. Johnson, W. Roberts, G. Hau tries; K. Ganley goal) drew with

Otahuhu Leopards 18 (M. Katoa 2, P. Tafea 2 tries; T. Laiseni goal). Halftime: 12-4.

Results at a glance:

Glenora Bears 42 - Wellington 22.

Hibiscus Coast Raiders 40 - Central Falcon 28.

Eastern Tornadoes 36 - Manuwera Marlins 24.

Mt Albert Lions 92 - Taranaki Wildcats 0.

Marist Richmond Brothers 26 - Canterbury Bulls 12.

North Harbour Tigers 18 - Otahuhu Leopards 18.