Bears courageous in defeat against

A tremendous and electrifying performance from the Bears in the second half of the Premier League game against Manly was not quite enough to over come a 22-0 half time deficit to the Sea Eagles.

While the first half appeared completely out of character for one of the strongest Norths teams in years, the second was classic 2005 Bears. Front rower Michael Harper devastating in defence and Namila Davui together with full back replacement Lester Salanoa became try scoring machines as Lester and Namila each scored 2. While Ben Ellis (pictured), alternating between hooker and lock, not only directed the team well but topped the tackle count in an incredible all round performance. Storm recruit Jeremiah Pai was also effective scoring a try. The final score a close 28-26 to Manly.

Coach Gary Freeman rallied his troupes in the second half break by claiming his confidence in the team that they could come back. When all was said and done however Gary felt "this is the one we should have won". The coach's best included Namila Davui, Michael Harper and Ben Ellis.

Next week all four teams will be on display at North Sydney Oval on Sunday 3/4/2005, with the Premier League starting at 3:00pm.

Jersey Flegg

Norths Jersey Flegg battle with Manly was a mixed bag for the Bears. A scoreless first half for Norths was punctuated by an incredible number of attacks at the Sea Eagles line including a period of 4 consecutive sets in attack. While in defence Norths were unable to contain a well drilled Manly side, the half time score 22-0. "All of Manly's tries in the first half were scored from within their own half" said Coach Gavin Catanach. But Gavin took comfort in the fact that "It's a very long season" naming his best performers as Anthony Beare and Pat Galea, while Xavier Jourdan had a great game off the bench for Norths. Final score: 34-6.

Next Sunday the Bears take on the Knights in Jersey Flegg starting at 1:30pm.

Harold Matthews

The Bears Harold Matthews side's full potential as a gun team is yet to be proven after coming up against a classy Illawarra Steelers at WIN Stadium on Thursday night. Down 22-6 at half time the Bears attempted what coach Steve Sullivan described as "catch-up football" further explaining "you can't play catch-up against a quality side like Illawarra". A good performance however from Brenden Randall, who not only scored a try but Steve Sullivan believed he "did the work to produce the second try", the second try scored by Lamarn Maa And converted by Harold Horder. The final score 46-12 to the home team. But Coach Sullivan was positive in his analysis saying "We know what we have to do now, win every game from here on in and next week we're ready to do just that".

Next week at North Sydney Oval on Sunday 3/4/2005 The Harold Matthews team play the Roosters, starting at 10:00am.

S. G. Ball

Rough Justice for the North Sydney S.G. Ball team this week as they put in a promising performance with only 3 missed tackles in the first half against the Steelers on Thursday night. A tremendous defensive display by Nathan Campbell was on show forcing mistakes by the Steelers. However prior to the break a scuffle broke out when Illawarra took umbrage to a Bears tackle, and the battle spilled on to the side lines. When control was restored the referee sent one player from each side to the sin bin, one Illawarra player was sent off and inexplicably two Norths players were sent off as the first half finished 16-0 to the Steelers. Without a lock and centre in the second half the Bears fought bravely spear headed by the coach Greg Richardson's standout performers of Nathan Campbell, Steve Gorton and Joel Bennett. Final score 54-8 to the Steelers.

Next Sunday at North Sydney Oval the S.G.Ball will play the Roosters, starting at 11:30am.

For more information, go to