Blackpool Panthers vs South Wales Scorpions Match Report


By Ian Golden at Woodlands Memorial Stadium


South Wales Scorpions played an outstanding first half at Blackpool Panthers but wilted in the seaside sun after the interval as they crashed 44-24 to one of the division's front-runners.


It only took two minutes for Blackpool to take the lead. Following a strong run, Danny Halliwell laid the ball off to John Clough who ran home.


There was almost a try back straight away when Lewis Mills fed Steve Parry and his pass aimed to David James was knocked on by Blackpool. But the move led to nothing as the final grubber following the set after the scrum was poor.


However Scorpions did level things on 11 minutes after Ashley Bateman touched down in the corner following his 70-metre run to the line.


Blackpool fought for the lead again. Danny Halliwell was close to scoring following a Mark McCully run but was a metre short.


But following a penalty, Scorpions took the lead. Elliot Kear made the run and Steve Parry forced his way over for his 12th try of the season. Loz Wildbore converted.


They extended their lead on 25 minutes. Mills and Parry were both short but Andrew Gay ran unchallenged under the sticks from the next play. Wildbore goaled again.


Carl Forber thought he had a try back for Blackpool but it was ruled out for off-side.


And Scorpions almost extended their lead before the break. David James created the chance with a 50 metre run, but from the final tackle, Mills wasn't quite close enough as he attempted to roll over the line after Wildbore's grubber hit the post.


But from the final move of the half, Blackpool got a try back through Hemmingway who converted it himself.


They carried on after the interval when Tom Woodcock scored in the corner from Blackpool's first set but Wildbore kicked a penalty goal for Scorpions three minutes later.


However Blackpool recovered and scored as soon as they retained the ball after Mark McCully made a storming run to the line. Hemmingway's kick put them 20-18 up.


Andrew Gay looked like he was playing in the FIFA World Cup as he attempted to dribble the ball to the line. He won a goal-line drop out for his efforts but Mills was held up over the line.


Blackpool then started to take control. Woodcock slipped the ball to Casey Mayberry who ran over the line unmarked and Martin Aiscough followed him over five minutes later before Mayberry broke through the defence soon after that to seal the game for the top three side. Hemmingway converted all three.


The lead would have been more but the Blackpool centre, who sounded if he should have been playing for the opposition with a name like David Llewellyn, had a try ruled out for a forward pass.


Scorpions did get a try back as Parry broke through to nab a brace in a game for the first time which Wildbore converted, but a final minute try from Clough made sure that the Scorpions would go away without even a bonus point. Hemmingway's goal sealed the win.


Scorpions coach Anthony Seibold said: