Bridgend's Weekend Cup Double

Here are the reports from Bridgend and Kevin Ellis' remarkable Cup double this weekend. Ellis coached both Brynteg School and Bridgend Blue Bulls to National Final victories in the Powergen Champions Schools Year 7 and Total RLC Conference Premier Finals respectively.

Brynteg (Bridgend) 40 v 4 Castleford High by Neil Barraclough

Brynteg added another chapter to their rich rugby history with a remarkable win in the Powergen Champion Schools Tournament.

Having produced rugby union talents such as Gavin Henson, their first foray into rugby league resulted in a sensational victory at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

Ben Evans grabbed the Chev Walker Man of the Match Medal - presented by Sir Bobby Robson - but Brynteg produced a superb all-round display to stroll to glory.

Coached by Welsh rugby league legend Kevin Ellis, Brynteg showed a flair and passion typical of Welsh teams. They built up a 22-0 lead inside the first quarter to leave a shell shocked Castleford outfit wondering what had happened.

William Thomas scooted over from close range, Jay Robbins dived on the end of Oliver Olds' grubber, Ben Evans touched down for his try and Thomas added a scorching 80 metre try to seal the win before half time.

Adam Hargreaves got Castleford on the scoreboard, but Olds' try just before the break kept Brynteg's lead healthy.

Powerful centre Rhys Evans raced over for two tries after the restart before Daniel James spectacular dash down the touchline wrapped up a fantastic afternoon for the Welsh outfit.



An exhilarating eleven try display saw Bridgend take the Harry Jepson Trophy for the second time in three seasons, emulating the feat of Crawley Jets, in a record victory in the Grand Final.

Brilliant off-loading amongst a super fast back division with Lenny Woodard and Paul Morgan capitalising on the guile of halves Kevin Ellis and classy 24 point Bev Risman medal winner Gareth David, combined with the power of Nathan Strong, who lived up to his name, and Karl Hocking, tore the Akkies apart.

In a commendably mistake-free opening, the Bulls had the better of the first ten minutes in a taste of what was to come, spurning two guilt edged chances on the end of some frantic scrambling defence from the Yorkshire men.

The first flowing move initiated by Morgan, Kevin Ellis and Marcus Sainsbury saw Woodard hauled down just short, impressive Nathan Strong knocking after a quick play the ball in the act of scoring.

Kevin Ellis, running the show in midfield with a delicious array of passes, sent Hocking powering clear, Woodard losing possession as Andy Knapton came across in desperate cover.

From those escapes Leeds hit back against the run of play, Leon Crick's clever chip over forced Neil Dixon to spill the ball, Chris Lewis gathered and Knapton had Duncan Ogilvie on his shoulder on the inside to skate in for the opening score at the posts.

Bridgend's reply was devastating with three tries in four minutes as they made the most of a glut of possession by keeping the ball alive in thrilling fashion.

Alan Holdsworth mis-fielded the kick off and after Grant Epton had made good ground, dynamic Craig Fox nipped over from acting half back. In the next set Sainsbury, Kevin Ellis and Hocking exploited the right, Dixon linked superbly, Woodard powered clear and Kevin Ellis in intelligent support skipped his way to the line.

From the re-start Morgan produced a moment of solo magic, stepping to the touchline side and breaking clear before dummying his way over out wide for an exceptional effort that had the crowd on their feet. Leeds kicked early when they finally got their hands on the ball and were made to pay when Hocking found space up the middle, Woodard spun through the gap and although Nabozny made a fine covering effort on the ever- supporting Fox, Kevin Ellis picked the rolling ball and freed Matthew Wareham who sent Owen Strong on a clear run to the line to make it 22-6. The difference between the sides was exemplified in the 28th minute, Dan McCormack, trying to relieve pressure, put in a kick to the corner and the Bulls replied with a 90 metre try, the ball flowing through Woodard, Kevin Ellis, Geriant Lewis and Owen Strong, Nabozny again pulling off a fine tackle but holding down too long and from the tap David burrowed his way over. In the lead up to half time Lewis again made ground up the middle and Woodard went on a 40 metre diagonal run to the line. With a 34-6 half time lead, there was an understandable lessening of intensity in the hot sun in the second half.

Akkies started well to post their second score, Leon Crick feeding Matt Carbutt, another Leeds centre going into a match under an injury cloud, and he sent Nabozny over in the corner with a fine pass before limping off. Dan McCormack and the hard working Andy Rigby had Leeds on the attack again but a poor play the ball on the Bridgend line relieved the pressure and in a flash Dixon, Woodard and Epton linked on a long range scoring raid on the counter. Morgan should have increased the home lead when ran over the dead ball line after Kevin Ellis and David had again carved the opening but when Leeds threatened on a power play, David intercepted and again sent Epton clear on a long range touchline burst for glory. The Blue Bulls finished in glorious fashion for their growing army of delighted fans; Woodard and Epton making the ground for Kevin Ellis to send Dixon over to bring up the half century. Kevin Ellis was the architect for Nathan Strong to dummy his way over before David gathered the kick off and broke clear from half way, ending the contest with a justifiably flamboyant swallow dive.

With Brynteg Comprehensive performing with distinction in the Powergen Schools competition at the Millennium Stadium the day before and the Blue Bulls producing a wonderful, expansive advert for the code, Bridgend is buzzing and the arrival of the Celtic Crusaders in 2006 at Brewery Field looks to be on the firmest of footings. GAME STAR: Among a host of candidates not least Lenny Woodard and Kevin Ellis, 24 point Gareth David's quality stood out.

GAME BREAKER: Three tries in four blistering minutes after Leeds had taken a shock lead gave the Blue Bulls the impetus for a comprehensive win.

BLUE BULLS 1 Neil Dixon 2 Owen Strong 3 Paul Morgan 4 Lenny Woodard 5 Grant Epton 6 Gareth David 7 Kevin Ellis (C) 8 Nathan Strong 9 Lloyd O?Connor 10 Jon Purnell 11 Karl Hocking 12 Carle Ellis 13 Marcus Sainsbury Subs (all used) 14 Craig Fox 15 Hywel Davies 16 Geriant Lewis 17 Matthew Wareham

Tries: Fox (14), Ellis (16), Morgan (18), O. Strong (24), David (29, 78), Woodard (33), Epton (47, 64), Dixon (74), N. Strong (76) Goals: David 8/11

AKKIES 1 Ben Nabozny 2 Jason Whitehead 3 Lee Carbutt 4 Ken Marshall-Grant 5 Duncan Ogilvie 6 Dominic McCormack (C) 7 Leon Crick 8 Andy Rigby 9 Dan McCormack 10 Martin Taylor 11 Chris Lewis 12 Andy Knapton 13 Alan Holdsworth Subs (all used) 14 Mike Shires 15 Scott Simpson 16 Tom Bindloss 17 Graeme Sargeant

Tries: Ogilvie (11, 43) Goals: Crick 1/2

Men of the match: BLUE BULLS: Lenny Woodard AKKIES: Ben Nabozny Half time: 34-6 Penalty count: 5-9 Referee: Cliff Tamou (Wigan) GLDO: 0-0 Attendance: 1, 168

Scoring sequence: 0-6, 6-6, 12-6, 16-6, 22-6, 28-6, 34-6, 34-10, 40-10, 44-10, 50-10, 54-10, 60-10