C Cup R4:
Bulls Overcome Hull at Odsal

Powergen Challenge Cup holders Hull fell at the first hurdle after being overpowered by Super League champions Bradford 23-12 in a scrappy fourth-round tie in an Odsal mudbath.

Hull were unrecognisable from their 46-0 hammering by St Helens, their fourth defeat in five Super League matches, as they made the Bulls fight all the way in atrocious conditions.

John Kear?s men were well in contention at half-time, when they trailed just 8-6, but were undone by two tries in a seven-minute spell early in the second half as the Bulls went on to avenge last year?s 26-24 fifth-round defeat at the KC Stadium.

From the first minute, when they overcame difficult handling conditions and a stiff breeze to create the first try-scoring opportunity for winger Kirk Dixon, Hull often looked the hungrier team.

Dixon dropped Sid Domic?s pass with the line open and the visitors were also threatening when Bradford broke away to score the opening try.

A run from centre Ben Harris set up the position for loose forward Jamie Langley to make the initial bust and take a return pass from giant centre Karl Pryce and crash over at the corner.

Scrum-half Paul Deacon, who had opened the scoring with a fifth-minute penalty, missed the conversion but made it 8-0 with another successful shot at goal after the visitors had been caught offside.

Hull needed last-ditch tackles from Kirk Yeaman and Danny Brough on Shontayne Hape and Matt Cook to prevent the Bulls going further ahead but, undeterred, they fought back superbly.

Scrum-half Richard Horne was thrown back from the line by full-back Michael Withers on 19 minutes but the Bradford man could not stop the Great Britain international two minutes later when another jinking run took him all the way.

Brough added the conversion to cut the gap to just two points and Hull were hoping to make good use of the wind at their backs in the second half.

But a knock-on by loose forward Paul Cooke - one of a series of understandable handling errors - put his side under pressure from the start.

Bradford were quick to seize the opportunity and extended their lead with two quickfire tries, both the result of pinpoint kicks after smart build-up.

First winger Marcus Bai got on the end of a perfectly-judged `bomb` from Iestyn Harris and Deacon, whose neat pass to Withers created the try-scoring position, added the touchline goal.

Then it was Harris? turn to drive Hull back with a lovely jinking run and this time Deacon?s hoisted kick was palmed back by winger Lesley Vainikolo into the grateful arms of Hape.

Deacon was off target with the conversion but he put over a drop goal to give his side a comfortable 13-point cushion.

Hull never gave up and scored again when Horne jinked his way over for his second try eight minutes from the end but the champions had the final say when substitute Stanley Gene took another astute pass from Iestyn Harris to glide over for his side?s fourth try.

Bradford: Withers, Bai, B. Harris, Pryce, Vainikolo, I. Harris, Deacon, Fielden, Henderson, Lynch, McKenna, Hape, Langley. Replacements: Vagana, Gene, Watene, Cook.

Hull: Briscoe, Dixon, Yeaman, Domic, Raynor, Whiting, R. Horne, Dowes, Brough, King, Radford, Hill, Cooke. Replacements: Chester, Thackray, Carvell, Tony.

Bradford: (8) 23. Tries: Langley, Bai, Hape, Gene. Goals: Deacon 3. Drop Goals: Deacon.

Hull: (6) 12. Tries: R. Horne 2. Goals: Brough 2.

Referee: R Silverwood (Dewsbury)

Att: 7,705