Carnegie Challenge Cup Rd 5 Review

There were no real shocks in the fifth round of the Carnegie Challenge Cup.

The best game of the round was Castleford Tigers versus Co-operative Championship leaders Halifax which resulted in the game being decided by golden point. After full-time the game was all square at 34-34 but Brent Sherwin slotted over a 40-meter drop goal in extra time to sneak the win for the Tigers.

Wigan can back from 10 points down to defeat Wakefield Wildcats 28-17 at Belle Vue. Tries from Jason Demetriou and Tevita Leo-Latu gave the Wildcats an early lead. The Warriors fought back and tries by George Carmont, Michael McIlorum and Cameron Phelps put them in control by the break. Tony Martin crossed to give Wakefield hope but late tries by Stuart Fielden and Sam Tomkins sealed the win.

Holders St Helens eased into the last eight with a comfortable 42-8 victory over Catalans Dragons at Knowsley Road. Saints led 18-8 at the break as both Gary Wheeler and Francis Meli scored a brace. Cyril Gossard was the Dragons try scorer. It was one-way traffic in the second half as St Helens added four further tries to book their place in the last eight.

Hull KR were taken the distance by 1998 cup winners, Sheffield Eagles. Leading by 28-24 with minutes remaining Ben Fisher went over to get Rovers over the line.

Elsewhere Warrington, Salford City Reds and Huddersfield Giants had comfortable wins over lower division teams. Gateshead became the only Championship club to make the quarter finals as they got past Oldham.

Castleford Tigers 35-34 Halifax Gateshead 34-16 Oldham Wakefield Wildcats 17-28 Wigan Warriors Batley Bulldogs 4-66 Salford City Reds Featherstone Rovers 8-56 Warrington Wolves Huddersfield Giants 38-12 Rochdale Hull K R 34-24 Sheffield Eagles St Helens 42-8 Catalans Dragons

Carnegie Challenge Cup quarter-final draw: Hull KR v Warrington Wolves Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers Gateshead v St Helens Wigan Warriors v Salford City Reds Ties to be played 29-31 May