Carnegie Challenge Cup Round 4 Review

Carnegie Challenge Cup Round 4 review by Simon Reuben

Round 4 of the Carnegie Challenge Cup saw the fourteen Super League teams enter the competition as the Road to Wembley began.

The shock of the round saw Featherstone Rovers knocking out great local rivals Castleford Tigers at Post Office Road on Saturday.

Featherstone turned in a superb first-half display that saw them score four tries to one. Tangi Ropati, Kyle Briggs, Ian Hardman and Greg Worthington all touched down as the Tigers suffered another shock loss, having tumbled out to part-timers Barrow two years ago.

All this came after Rovers had fallen behind after four minutes, Daryl Clark breaking the deadlock when he darted over from dummy half, though his celebrations were short-lived as he was soon sent to the sin-bin.

Nick Youngquest and Josh Griffin scored for Castleford but it was not enough to deny a determined Rovers side who booked their place in the last sixteen.

St Helens survived a stunning Widnes fightback to seal a place in the fifth round of the Carnegie Challenge Cup with a 40-38 victory in a high scoring affair at the Stobart Stadium.

Saints looked set for a comfortable victory when they led 40-22 before Kurt Haggerty went over for Widnes.

Then Saints hooker James Roby was sin-binned for a professional foul and Widnes hit back with three late tries from Hep Cahill, Patrick Ah Van and Lloyd White.

Widnes would have drawn had Ah Van's attempted conversion to his own try not hit the post four minutes from time.

Catalans Dragons despite being 20-0 up at the interval had to hold on for a narrow 20-18 win at Hull KR.

Leon Pryce opened the scoring on seven minutes, doubled his tally on 34 and Ian Henderson's effort put the visitors 20 points up at the interval.

Tries from Scott Taylor, Blake Green, Josh Hodgson and Sam Latus brought the hosts right back into the game in the second half but unfortunately Michael  Dobson left his kicking boots at home as he only converted one try which out to be crucial as Rovers missed out on progressing.

On the West side of the City of Hull,  Super League leaders Huddersfield came from 14-0 down at the break to sweep aside an injury-hit Hull FC with a strong second half performance.

The Giants back line did the damage, scoring six of their eight tries, the pick of them an 80-metre individual effort from Leroy Cudjoe that put them in front for the first time on 54 minutes.

Luke George, Greg Eden, Cudjoe again, Joe Wardle, Luke Robinson and Jason Chan also crossed in the second half as the Giants fought back from 4-0 down.

George had given them a foothold with the Giants' first points just before the break.

Tom Briscoe's try double had earlier put the hosts ahead.

Elsewhere last years runners up and Super League Champions Leeds Rhinos came from 12-6 down at half-timer to see of West Yorkshire rivals Wakefield Wildcats38-18.

Kyle Armour and Danny Kirmond had given the Wildcats the lead but a brace from Zack Hardaker turned things round as the Rhinos eased home to book their place in the fifth round.

Holders Wigan Warriors ran in 18 tries-six for Sam Tomkins- in a 98-4 demolition of part timers North Wales Crusaders.


Leeds Rhinos 38-18   Wakefield Wildcats

Featherstone Rovers 23-16 Castleford Tigers

South Wales 28-84 Halifax

Swinton 70-10 Gateshead

Widnes Vikings 38-40 St Helens

Bradford Bulls 72-6 Doncaster

Hull FC 16-42 Huddersfield Giants

Hull K R 18-20 Catalan Dragons

Hunslet 18-21 Batley

Keighley 18-44 Warrington Wolves

Leigh 68-18 Rochdale

London Broncos 72-4 Dewsbury

Oldham 26-14 Barrow

Whitehaven 18-58 Salford City Reds

Wigan Warriors 98-4 North Wales Crusaders

York 12-50 Sheffield