Dragons power through Sharks

The St. George Illawarra Dragons have powered through the Cronulla Sharks to defeat them 18-10 at WIN Stadium in front of 18,292 fans.

While the stadium didn't have power for most of the first half. The Dragons were electric with the ball as their style of play was free flowing.

The free flowing play saw Mitch Rein post first points with a strong run to the goal line as he beat Wade Graham's tackle. Chase Stanley called up as the substitutes' substitute kicker with Jamie Soward ruled out pre-game and his brother Kyle (Stanley) going down with an injury. Dragons held a 6-0 lead after 8 minutes.

Fill in captain Wade Graham lifted his side with a try of his own with a reaching effort to score. Todd Carney with the boots failed to level the score. Dragons 6-4 after 28 minutes.

A play truly against the run of play saw Brett Morris streak away 70 metres to claim the Dragons second four-pointer of the afternoon. Stanley converted next to the posts to bring up the 12-4 lead at the half time break.

Wade Graham has taken to the role of stand in captain in place of Paul Gallen with both hands in recent weeks. Graham found the whitewash for a second time mid second half following a strong solo effort. Carney converted to close the gap to two points, Dragons 12-10. 
Points scoring machine Brett Morris looked for his second try of the afternoon but the video referee denied him after a big try saver from Issac Gordon. 
However, in the next set the Dragons muscled up and Trent Merrin crossed to seal the win for the Red V. Ben Creagh supplied an offload to keep the ball alive which then ended in the hands of Ben Hornby to link with Merrin.  
The Dragons all done and dusted with ten minutes to play as they went on to claim an 18-10 victory over the Sharks. The loss sees the club remain winless in Wollongong since 1989. 
Rivalry round continues in round 20 next week with the Dragons travelling north to ANZ Stadium to clash with the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Meanwhile, the Sharks return to Toyota Stadium to battle with the inconsistent Raiders.

Match Details
St George Illawarra Dragons 18 defeated Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 10
National Rugby League - Round 19 - Sunday July 15, 2012 3:00pm
Venue: WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Referee: Ashley Klein and Adam Devcich
Video Referee: Paul Simpkins
Touch Judges: Russell Turner and Ricky MacFarlane
Crowd: 18,292
Halftime: St George Illawarra Dragons 12 Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 4

Leagueunlimited.com players of the match:
3 Points - Trent Merrin (1 Try)
2 Points - Ben Hornby
1 Point - Beau Scott

St George Illawarra Dragons (18)
Tries: Brett Morris, Trent Merrin, Mitchell Rein
Conversions: Chase Stanley (3/3)

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks (10)
Tries: Wade Graham (2)
Conversions: Todd Carney (1/2)

LeagueUnlimited.com Live Commentary Welcome to NRL Sunday as we bring you coverage LIVE from WIN Stadium in Wollongong as the Dragons host the Cronulla Sharks.

Team News: Dragons - Jamie Soward has been ruled OUT. Kyle Stanley comes in. Jack De Belin will start at lock, Dean Young drops to the bench.

As for the Sharks, just the one change. Tyson Frizell is OUT with Anthony Tupou replacing him on the bench wearing jersey 18.
We are moments away from kick off here at WIN Stadium in Wollongong. News out of the sheds is that Jamie Soward injured his back at training yesterday.
Both sides running out onto the park here. A large Sharks army of fans have made the travel down to Wollongong. Despite a bus breaking down on route, all fans have arrived.
The Sharks will be looking to claim their first victory in Wollongong since 1989 with NINE straight loses. They will hope they can change it in front of this massive crowd.
1 min: We are UNDERWAY at WIN Stadium! Sharks kick off and it bounces out before Nightingale could take it. So the Sharks will get a line drop out as a result.
1 min: It was a short line drop out which sees the Sharks attacking only 30 metre out
1 min: KNOCK ON! The Sharks spreading the ball but Jason Bukuya unable to take it cleanly and he dropped it shy of the goal line. So, the Dragons hold on without conceding points after the mistake from the kick off.
4 min: Ben Hornby flew through the line hoping to dive on the ball in goal off the short kick. However, he had a swing and a miss. But the Sharks grounded the ball in goal to give the Dragons another set through a line drop out.
5 min: The Dragons playing jungle ball today, simply throwing the ball around but it ended up over the touchline.
5 min: Time off here, Kyle Stanley is down with a knee injury. He will be stretchered off the field. Not good for the young player.
6 min: Kyle Stanley is being carried off as Nathan Fien comes on. But issues at the ground continue with a power black out. No big screen and the 2GB call team is down to one mobile phone to call the action. However, Play continues on field with the Sharks in possession on their own 20 metre line.
7 min: Video Referee Decision pending for the Dragons. Mitch Rein has gone over.
8 min: TRY
TRY! St. George Ilawarra Dragons Mitchell Rein has been awarded his try after he beat Wade Graham to the line to dive in for first points. Chase Stanley with the conversion attempt in place of his brother Kyle who came off.
St George Illawarra Dragons 6-0
11 min: The Dragons still through the ball around, but Brett Morris this time unable to get over line. A knock on the call and the Sharks have the ball on their 10 metre line with a change over.
14 min: Daniel Vidot when for a gallop down the right hand touchline looking for a hole but unable to link up with support. The ball went to ground and the Sharks come up with possession on their 20 metre line.
16 min: Penalty to the Dragons for the Sharks ruled offside. Wade Graham pleading the case but unable to get through. BUT the Dragons have fail to find touch but Matt Wright knocked it forward back in field. So the Dragons have possession with a scrum feed on halfway.
18 min: Stanley went close with a line break but the Dragons now get a ZERO tackle. They attacking 10 metres from the Sharks line. GOOD NEWS as well with the power outage been fixed here at WIN Stadium.
19 min: Beau Scott racing out of the line but knocked on as he tried to take the Finch pass. Sharks with the scrum feed on their 10 metre line.
20 min: Sharks' tackle count restarts with a charge down off the kick from the Dragons. They attack from their 40 metre line.
21 min: Jason Nightingale took the ball in goal and raced to the 20 metre line to earn his side a penalty for the Sharks ruled off side.
23 min: Penalty to the Sharks with the markers ruled offside. The Dragons when close again through Rein but unable to get over the line. The Sharks need to fire up with possession on their 20 metre line.
24 min: Jason Nightingale is forced in goal and the Sharks have possession with a line drop out.
26 min: Video Referee Decision for the Sharks. Wade Graham is claiming points in the corner.
28 min: TRY
TRY! Cronulla SharksWade Graham has bashed through the defence to reach for the goal line and plant it down. Wonderful power run from the fill in captain. Todd Carney from the touchline gets snapped by Brad Fittler but fails to convert.
St George Illawarra Dragons 6-4
29 min: Nathan Fien stabs the kick downfield and he touches the sideline. The Sharks will pack a scrum feed on their 10 metre line.
31 min: Penalty to the Dragons against Andrew Fifita for pulling Daniel Vidot off the ball as he looked to take the ball.
32 min: Ben Hornby looked to put Matt Cooper through a hole in the Sharks line but the pass has been ruled forward. The Sharks escape with a change in possession on their 20 metre line.
35 min: The Sharks with an attacking kick from Jeff Robson has seen Chase Stanley tap the ball over the dead ball line. As a result the Sharks have stepped up and have another set through a line drop out.
37 min: Daniel Vidot comes in and grounds the ball in goal. The Sharks have picked up, Wade Graham managed to keep it alive and turned the ball back on the inside to Jeff Robson. He kicked through the line but it was trapped by Vidot. So, the Sharks will get another set before the break with another line drop out.
39 min: The Dragons hold on as the Sharks hand up possession to the Dragons on their goal line. The Dragons will take the lead of 2 points into the break at this stage.
39 min: Morris is away!
40 min: TRY
TRY! St. George Illawarra Dragons
Brett Morris has taken a poor pass from Todd Carney to streak away 70 metres to score under the posts. Chase Stanley converts from next to the uprights to make it an 8 point gap at half time.
St George Illawarra Dragons 12-4
40 min: HALF TIME at WIN Stadium in Wollongong sees the Dragons hold an 8 point lead, 12-4 over the Sharks.
41 min: We are back underway for the Second half with the Dragons kicking off.
42 min: Daniel Vidot took a leap for for the ball and looked to bring it down in the corner. But unable to cross. The Sharks hold on and have the ball through a change over on their own line.
46 min: Beautiful take from Jason Nightingale under pressure from Jeff Robson. The Dragons have the ball shy of the goal line as a result.
47 min: Forward pass called against the Sharks with Andrew Fifita offloading forward to John Morris. So, the Dragons pack a scrum feed on the Sharks 40 metre line.
47 min: KNOCK ON! Jason Nightingale went to take the offload from Beau Scott but unable to get a hand on it. So knock on the call, Sharks get a scrum feed on their 20 metre line.
49 min: Bad to worse for the Dragons, they concede a penalty for a second push in the ruck. The Sharks find touch to give them their set from half way.
51 min: Nice kick from Jeff Robson to sail it into the in goal area. However, no points but a result none the less with Brett Morris taking it dead. The Sharks earn line drop out.
53 min: TRY
TRY! Cronulla Sharks
Wade Graham despite being injured has powered through the line off a lovely Carney pass to claim his second of try of the match. Todd Carney adds the extras to close the gap to two points.
St George Illawarra Dragons 12-10
55 min: A tough call but Chase Stanley looked to clean up the kick from Jeff Robson but just ground it on the line. So the Sharks will have another chance to score with their 6th line drop out.
56 min: The referee has called back Anthony Tupou after claiming a try. The double pump from Wade Graham has flowed forward. Time is off here with a number of players down with injuries. Wade Graham getting taped up, Todd Carney is down with a possible leg injury and Chase Stanley also down with a leg injury.
57 min: Play continues and all players with injury concerns remain on the field. The Dragons win the scrum and attack from their 20 metre line.
58 min: Matt Wright looked to get out of goal but forced by Miller on the goal line. The Dragons get their second line drop out.
59 min: Ben Hornby looked to take the line drop out but almost knocked it on. The Dragons continued the set but unable to find the whitewash with the ball going over the sideline. The Shark with possession inside their 20 metre line.
62 min: Ben Hornby looked for the line goal with a grubber kick but taken on the full by Gordon. The Sharks with good defence not to concede points.
64 min: KNOCK ON! A great try saver from Isaac Gordon but a knock on ruled against him. So, the Dragons will have another chance at the Sharks line with a scrum feed on their 10 metre line.
64 min: Video Referee Decision for the Brett Morris, looking at sideline and grounding.
64 min: NO TRY! Brett Morris gets the RED LIGHTS after going into touch thanks to another try saver from Issac Gordon who forced him into touch before the line.
66 min: Video Referee Decision for the Dragons again, possible a try for Merrin. Looking at a knock on
68 min: TRY
TRY! St. George Illawarra Dragons
Trent Merrin has scored after taking a flat pass from Ben Hornby. However, it all started with an offload play from Ben Creagh to keep it alive. Chase Stanley with the conversion made it an 8 point lead again.
St George Illawarra Dragons 18-10
70 min: A mistake from the Sharks sees the Dragons earn a scrum feed on their 10 metre line.
72 min: Penalty to the Sharks on the last tackle for Chase Stanley knocking the ball out of the Sharks hand trying to play the ball. The Sharks in possession on the Dragons 30 metre line.
73 min: Brett Morris with a great play of skill to get out of the in goal area to beat four Sharks defenders.
74 min: Ben Hornby made a break and then earned a penalty for the Sharks being penalised for a leg pull.
74 min: A mistake from the Dragons sees the Sharks look to race away but caught. The play continues and the Sharks earn a penalty for the Dragons holding down too long in the ruck.
76 min: Jeff Robson stabbed the kick into the in goal area and Jason Nightingale cleans it up easily.
77 min: The kick from the Dragons has gone out on the full. The Sharks will have a scrum feed on Dragons' 40 metre line.
78 min: ZERO TACKLE! The Sharks have another chance, the Dragons got a hand to the ball as Fifita looked to offload.
79 min: KNOCK ON! Todd Carney has been crunched in a tackle and he loses the ball. The Dragons have the zero tackle on their 30 metre line. They will finish the game with the ball you would think.
80 min: The Sharks have failed to take the ball cleaning and the siren will sound.
80 min: FULL TIME at WIN Stadium has seen the Dragons close out winners 18-10 over the Sharks. Their losing streak in Wollongong continues.

Click Here to view the live update of the game. | To discuss the game with 1000s of other fans, please click here.