through to grand final

The St George Illawarra Dragons Jersey Flegg side earlier tonight booked themselves a Grand Final position after a 27 ? 6 victory against the Sydney Roosters at Leichardt Oval.

The game ended with plenty of fire but it was the Dragons who started off with plenty of it with an early try to hooker George Ndaira with the try being converted by Josh Lewis.

It then came to the 21st minute where Dragons prop forward Danny Wicks was hit by a high shot and received a penalty only 15 m out from the Roosters goal line. Five ? eighth Josh Lewis put in an early grubber kick and Lee Te Maari grabbed the try out wide with the conversion from Lewis unsuccessful.

The Dragons went to the break leading 10 ? 0 but came back out hoping they could get the first points of the second half and it started well with Josh Lewis getting a 40/20 kick away but a poor mistake on the second tackle cost them a chance to extend their lead. The Roosters then capitalized and second rower Grant Millington opened the scoring for the Roosters and the try was converted leaving the match fairly even at 10 ? 6.

From the kick restart the Dragons forced a Roosters error only 25m out and centre Beau Ryan scored his first of the day with Lewis converting taking it out to a 16 ? 6 lead. It was only six minutes later when Josh Morris barged his way over to make it 20 ? 6.

Five ? eighth Josh Lewis then secured a spot in the Grand Final with a field goal to extend it to a fifteen point lead. With eight minutes to go Beau Ryan then crossed for his second of the night and Lewis converting taking the match to a 27 ? 6 score line.

From the restart prop Chris Houston returned the ball only to be hit with a high shot with the Roosters player being immediately sent from the field. From the penalty the Dragons then took two hit ups with yet another brawl starting this time resulting in two Roosters players being sin-binned and Dragons second rower Lee Te Maari also receiving ten minutes.

The Dragons were extremely happy to book themselves a place in the Grand Final and will play the victor of the Eels V Sharks match that was also played this evening.

St George Illawarra Dragons 27 (B Ryan 2, G Ndaira, L Te Maari, J Morris tries; J Lewis 3 Goals; J Lewis Field Goal) def. Sydney Roosters 6 (G Millington try; 1 Goal) at Leichardt Oval