Preview of tonight's Challenge Cup... LeagueUnlimited.com - NRL & Rugby League A View From The Hill ...
3 days ago
Knightly News - 10/3/2004
The immediate future of Energy Australia Stadium in Newcastle is secured again after the NSW Premier Bob Carr announced an $8.5 million rescue package today.
The Carr Government had pledged $23.6 million last year, initially seen as half the costs of a full stadium upgrade.
Work began on the long-awaited renovations last year, but it was soon realised a shortfall for ?previously unforseen costs? would hamper efforts to complete the first stage of the re-development.
The cost of the project was inflated by increased prices for concrete and steel products.
The additional funds will ensure the completion of the new Eastern Grandstand, as well as the construction of a new scoreboard and catering facilities.
Mr Carr said his government had pledged more money because ?the Federal Government won?t put in any?.
?The families of the Hunter deserve a world-class sporting stadium and we want to make sure they get one,? Mr Carr said yesterday.
Stadium owners are still hopeful that the Federal Government will contribute the remaining $23.6 million needed to complete the whole stadium.
The Knights are due to play their first home game at the venue on the weekend of the 16th of April. An Anzac Test is scheduled there the following Friday.
When completed, the stadium is set to cater for more than 26,000 patrons.