engage Super League Rd 10 Review

Bradford Bulls 20

Tries:    Platt, Hall, Nero, Halley

Goals:   Orford 2


Crusaders 16

Tries:    Mellars, Hauraki

Goals:   Witt 4   


Att:    7,853


Bradford Bulls were made to work hard as they defeated the Crusaders at Grattan Stadium Odsal.


Coming off last Thursday's energy sapping game against Leeds and with their opponents having their game called off which could make them fresher; Dave Halley scored an early try for the Bulls.


Crusaders hit back with tries from Weller Hauraki and Vince Mellars. Michael Witt added the conversion as the visitors took the lead 12-4. Bradford got back into the game when Chris Nero pounced on a loose kick to score and they took the lead at the break 14-12 thanks to Glen Hall's touchdown and a Matt Orford goal.


The early part of the second half was a tight affair and a penalty on 52-minutes and on 66-minutes by Witt gave the Welsh-side the lead 16-14.


Harlequins RL 12

Tries:    Williamson, Orr

Goals:   Orr 2


Hull KR 52
Tries:    Welham 4, Lovegrove, Galea 2, Cook, Dobson

Goals:   Dobson 8


Att:    2,819


Hull KR got back on track by crushing Harlequins RL at The Twickenham Stoop.


Rovers raced out of the blocks and took the lead on three minutes through Ben Galea who dummied his way over. Two more quick-fire tries followed from Matt Cook and Mick Dobson as the visitors led 16-0 after 14 minutes. Quins had some pressure but Hull KR held tight and they made it 22-0 at the break with a Kris Welham score.


Early into the second period Welham added his second of the game before Harlequins finally got on the board through Danny Orr who also converted his own try. Galea got his second try of the match before the Londoners scored again with a good effort from Luke Williamson.


In the last ten minutes the Robins piled on the points, Welham added two more to make it four for the game and Lovegrove added the ninth try of the game as Rovers completed the rout.


Castleford Tigers 14

Tries:    Westerman, Huby, Shenton, Clayton

Goals:   Westerman


St Helens 50
Tries:    Roby 2, Fa'asavalu, Pryce, Puletua, Meli 2, Eastmond 2

Goal:    Eastmond 8

Att:    6,879


St Helens bounced back from Good Friday's defeat by disposing of Castleford Tigers at the Jungle.


St Helens dominated the early stages and the pressure told as Tony Puletua ran on to Kerion Cunningham's delayed pass and brilliantly off-loaded for Kyle Eastmond to score. Francis Meli increased the lead before the Tigers hit back. Huby crossed underneath the posts and an off-load from Rangi Chase led to Ryan Clayton scoring out wide to give the hosts the lead.


James Roby caused havoc at dummy-half and this led to Maurie Fa'asavalu crashing over the line to give Saints a 16-10 interval lead.


The second half was dominated by the visitors as they ran in 6 tries to take control of the game.  Roby scored a brace and set up Meli for his second. Joe Westerman scored a consolation for the Tigers after running on to Chase's flat pass.


Eastmond, Puletua and Pryce all got over the whitewash before Michael Shenton scored the last try of the game for the hosts as St Helens keep on the heels of Wigan and Warrington.


Hull FC 10

Tries:    Manu, Hall

Goal:    Whiting


Warrington Wolves 29

Tries:    Monaghan, Myler, Hicks 3

Goals:   Briers 4

Drop Goal: Briers


Att:    14,131


Warrington Wolves kept the pressure on leaders Wigan with an impressive win at Hull FC.


Both teams went at each other in the first half. The returning Lee Briers set up Chris Hicks as the visitors scored early. Hull bounced back after good work from Jordan Tansey setup Craig Hall to touchdown.


Both teams exchanged tries as they went into the break 10-10. Willie Mani finished off a move from the scrum and Hicks jumped high to score his second of the game for Warrington.


10-minutes into the second half Chris Bridge made the initial run which set up Richard Myler to score as the Wolves regained the lead. The Black and Whites came close to scoring but Michael Monaghan scored the vital try.


Lee Briers added a drop goal to seal the game before Adrian Morley set up Hicks for his hat-trick as the Wolves stayed in second place.


Wigan Warriors 54
Tries:    Farrell, Tomkins, Richards 3,    Goulding 3, Roberts 2

Goals:   Richards 7


Wakefield Wildcats 14

Tries:    Blaymire 2, Blanch

Goals:   Cooke


Att:    14,615


Rampant Wigan Warriors ran in 10-tries as they demolished Wakefield Wildcats at DW Stadium.


The Engage Super League leaders backed up Good Friday's impressive win at local rivals St Helens by hammering the poor Wakefield Wildcats. The game as a contest was all over by the break as Wigan led 32-0. The hosts showed their intent from the outset as they ran in three tries in the first ten minutes of the game. Pat Richards and Amos Roberts both scored braces with Joel Tomkins and Daryl Goulding being the other first half try scorers


Goulding scored his second immediately after the restart before Wakefield railed and scored three quick-fire tries in a ten minute spell from Damien Blanch and two for Matt Blaymire.


Normal service then resumed as Wigan rattled in the points. Youngster Liam Farrell got on the score-sheet with both Richards and Goulding completing hat-tricks.


The only downside for the Warriors was losing Amos Roberts to a suspected broken leg.


Salford City Reds 30

Tries:    Gibson, Holdsworth, Tyrer, Sidlow

Goals:   Holdsworth 7


Huddersfield Giants 18

Tries:    Whaturia, Cudjoe, Patrick, D. Hodgson

Goals:   Brough


Att:    4,014


Salford City Reds stunned Huddersfield Giants by running out shock winners at The Willows.


After shocking Champions Leeds Rhinos Easter Monday last year the Reds did the same to high flying Huddersfield Giants this year. Adam Sidlow scored the opening try early on before ex Bulldog Daniel Holdsworth added three goals as the hosts opened up a 10-0 lead. Just before the break Ashley Gibson's try made it a perfect half for Salford as they went into half time 16-0 in front.


Holdsworth continued where he left off by scoring a try and two more penalty goals as the home-side increased their advantage before the Giants got on the scoreboard with an unconverted try from David Hodgson.


On 62-minutes Salford made it 30-4 and effectively won the game with a Steve Tyrer try. In the last 13-minutes the Giants rallied and scored three consolation tries from Larne Patrick, Leroy Cudjoe and Paul Whaturia but it was too late as they slipped to fourth in the table.


Catalans Dragons 24
Tries:    Guisset, Johnson, Touxagas, Bentley

Goals:   Bosc 3

Leeds Rhinos 34

Tries:    Lauitiiti, Jones-Buchanan, Senior, McGuire 2, Delaney

Goals:   Sinfield 5


Att:    8,230


Leeds Rhinos withstood a Catalans Dragons second half fight-back to claim the points at Ame Giral in Perpignan.  


Injury hit Catalans scored the opening try from Jerome Guisset who powered his way over the line. The Rhinos hit back and ran in five tries in a sixteen minute spell to take control at 26-6. Ali Lauitiiti, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Keith Senior, McGuire and Brett Delaney all went over the line as Leeds appeared to have the game won.


Just before the break ex Storm loose forward Dallas Johnson gave Catalans some hope as he scored his first try for his new club.


The Dragons were given a boost early into the second period when the visitors were reduced to 12-men when Kylie Leuluai was shown a yellow card for an off the ball challenge on Thomas Bosc.


Catalans made their one man advantage tell with Julien Touxagas scoring in the corner and when Kevin Sinfield failed to put the ball dead in the in goal area hooker Kane Bentley pounced as the French outfit cut the gap to only 28-24.


However, Sinfield redeemed himself as his neat back pass sent Danny McGuire away and clinch a first win in five for the Rhinos as they remained outside the top eight in ninth place.