Engage Super
League Rd 14 review


Hull F.C. 44 (Raynor 3, Yeaman, McMenemy, Blacklock, R.Horne tries; Cooke 8 goals) def. Leeds Rhinos 28 (Senior 2, Mathers, McGuire, Smith tries; Burrow 4 goals). Att: 17,700.

Hull FC stretched their run to six successive victories with an impressive performance over the Leeds Rhinos in front of a full house at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

The Black and Whites wrapped the game up in the first half as they ran in four tries by Richard Horne, Shayne McMenemy and a brace for ex-Rhino Gareth Raynor. Leeds solitary try came from Richard Mathers as the visitors lead 24-6 at half time.

In the first ten minutes of the second half Raynor scored his hat-trick and a try for Kirk Yeaman gave Hull an unassailable 36-4 lead. Leeds hit back to cut the lead with tries from Danny McGuire and two for Keith Senior. However, a late try for Nathan Balcklock and the immaculate kicking of Paul Cook secured a convincing win for the visitors the first win at Headingley for five years. On the final hooter Lee Smith crossed for the Rhinos to give the score a flattering look.

St Helens 34 (Gilmour 2, Gardner 2, V. Anderson tries; Lyon 6, Long goals) def. Warrington Wolves 22 (Sullivan, Fa'afili, Barnett, Penalty tries; Briers 3 goals). Att: 12,050.

St Helens got back to their winning ways as they withstood a Warrington Wolves fight-back at a packed Knowsley Road.

Warrington got off to a dream start when ex-Shark Michael Sullivan burrowed his way over to score. However, a Lee Gilmour brace and further tries by Ade Gardner and Vinnie Anderson put Saints on top to give them a 26-4 lead at the break.

In the second half, the visitors roared back with tries by Richie Barnett, Henry Fa'afili and a penalty try to close within four points of the host at 26-22. But a Jamie Lyon penalty and last minute interception try by Gardner got the points for the Saints who now move six points clear at the top of the engage Super League table.

Bradford Bulls 58 (Lynch 2, Hape 2, Vainikolo 2, Pryce, St Hilaire, Bai, Fielden tries; Deacon 9 goals) def. Harlequins R.L. 16 (Lucky Luisi, McLinden, Hopkins tries; Paul 2 goals). Att: 4,491.

Bradford Bulls resumed normal transmission by thrashing a very poor Harlequins R.L. at Twickenham Stoop.

The visitors produced a devastating five-try salvo in 15 first-half minutes, which left the home side 36-6 down at the break, with scrumhalf Paul Deacon being the main architect for the Bulls. Shontayne Hape, Lesley Vainikolo and Andy Lynch claimed doubles and there was a try apiece for Marcus St Hilaire, Marcus Bai, Stuart Fielden and Karl Pryce. Harlequins only tries came from Mark McLinden in the first half and Lee Hopkins and Zebastian Luisi in the second, but the result was never in doubt as the Bulls reclaimed third spot in the engage Super League table.

Wakefield Wildcats 10 (Atkins, Demetriou tries; Jeffries goal) def. Wigan Warriors 8 (Paleaaesina try; Tickle 2 goals). Att: 3,733

Wakefield Wildcats gained a vital win in a bottom of the table clash against the Wigan Warriors at damp Belle Vue.

In hard fought game where try chances were limited, the Wildcats managed to take the lead with a Ryan Atkins try in the 29th minute. Just before the break Wigan managed to get on level terms through Iafeta Paleaaesina.

In a dour second half against the run of play, Wigan took the lead through a Danny Tickle penalty goal, however minutes later the Wildcats went two points in front with unconverted Jason Demetriou try. The home team spurned numerous chances to increase their lead and nearly paid the penalty in the final seconds when Wigan?s Pat Richards was denied a match-winning try by the video referee.

This defeat leaves the Warriors five points a drift from safety with some tough games against the top clubs to come.

Catalans Dragons 40 (Wilson 3, Murphy, Dobson, Cologni, Hindmarsh tries; Dobson 6 goals) def. Castleford Tigers 18 (Viane 2, Nutley tries; McGoldrick 3 goals). Att: 6,024.

Catalans Dragons gained their first victory in six matches as they ran in seven tries against the Castleford Tigers at the Jungle.

John Wilson was the star of the show for the visitors as he scored a hat-trick and scrum-half Mick Dobson contributed 16 points with try and six conversations. The game was all square at 12-12 just into the second half with Gray Viane scoring a brace for the Tigers, but four tries in a twenty-minute burst sealed victory for the Dragons.

Castleford did score a consolation in the last minute through Danny Nutley.

Huddersfield Giants 32 (Drew 2, Donlan, Crabtree, Aspinwall tries; De Vere 6 goals) def. Salford City Reds 18 (Robinson, Moule, Myler tries; Stephen Myler 2, John Wilshere goals). Att: 3,289.

Huddersfield Giants recovery continued with a comfortable victory over the Salford City Reds at the Galpharm Stadium.

The Giants opened up a 24-6 lead at the break thanks to two touchdowns by the impressive Brad Drew with further tries from Stuart Donlan and Earl Crabtree. The only reply from Salford was a solitary Luke Robinson try.

In the second half a Martin Aspinwall try wrapped the game up for the hosts. Aaron Moule and substitute Stephen Myler added consolation tries for the City Reds. The visitors' misery was completed in the closing stages when Malcolm Alker was sin-binned for starting a mass brawl.