Engage Super League Rd 15 review


Leeds Rhinos 30 (Burrow, Poching, Walker, Senior, Bailey tries; Sinfield 5 goal) def. Bradford Bulls 0. Att: 16,603.

Leeds Rhinos rediscovered their form as they shut out the Bradford Bulls at Odsal. In a low scoring first half, man of the match Rob Burrow?s fine individual try was the difference between the teams at the interval.

After the break, the Rhinos stepped up the pace and with four unanswered tries through Willie Poching, Chev Walker, Ryan Bailey and Keith Senior giving sweet revenge for last months defeat at Headingley.

Bradford struggled to hold the ball and with numerous handling errors, they never gained a foothold in the match, and rarely troubled the Leeds line. This was only the second time in Super league history that the Bulls failed to score a point at home.

Catalans Dragons 28 (Frayssinous 2, Jones, Fakir, Fellous tries; Frayssinous 4 goals) def. Wakefield Wildcats 20 (White 2, Jeffries tries; March 4 goals). Att: 6,852.

The return of Stacey Jones inspired the Catalans Dragons to a close victory over the Wakefield Wildcats in Perpignan. The former Kiwi International, out since February with a broken arm, claimed the first try after 22 minutes and team-mates Jamal Fakir and Laurent Frayssinous also got on the score sheet, which saw the hosts take a 10-2 lead at the break.

Wakefield hit back in the second half with Paul White scoring twice and Ben Jeffries touching down, but Adel Fellous and Frayssinous, with his second try, sealed the Dragons' win.

St Helens 28 (Gardner, Talau, Meli, Lyon tries; Lyon 6 goals) def. Wigan Warriors 14 (Richards, Hock, Dallas tries; Dobson goal). Att: 18,358.

St Helens maintained their six-point lead at the top of the engage Super League table with victory over eternal rivals Wigan Warriors at the JJB Stadium. The Saints rook a 14-0 lead at the break with tries from Jamie Lyon and Francis Meli.

In the second half Wigan gave a much-improved performance and with tries from Pat Richards and Gareth Hock the Warriors cut the lead to 14-8. However, two tries for the visitors by Ade Gardner and Willie Talau put the game beyond the hosts.

Although Brett Dallas managed to score a late consolation try, this result still leaves Wigan 7 points a drift at the foot of the table.

Hull FC 19 (Blacklock, Domic, R Horne tries; Cooke 3 goal; R. Horne field goal) def. Huddersfield Giants 6 (Mason try; De Vere goal). Att: 10,642.

Hull FC registered their seventh win on the trot defeating the Huddersfield Giants at the K.C. Stadium. In a tight first half Hull took the lead with a Paul Cook penalty goal. Huddersfield bounced back with a try by Keith Mason. However, Sid Domic levelled the match with a try for the Black and Whites, with Cook?s touchline conversation giving the hosts an 8-6 lead at the break.

In the early stages of the second half both teams struggled to find a breakthrough but a Nathan Blacklock try gave the hosts a six point advantage and on 65 minutes this became seven with a Richard Horne Drop Goal. The game was sealed late when Horne went over, which took Hull up to third place in the table.

Warrington Wolves 46 (Grose 2, Clarke, Briers, Barnett, Fa'afili, Wood, Swann tries; Briers 7 goals) def. Castleford Tigers 28 (Shenton 2, Sculthorpe, Bird, Lupton tries; Huby 3, McGoldrick goals). Att: 9,508.

Warrington Wolves maintained their play off hopes with a comfortable win over the Castleford Tigers at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. It was the Tigers who took a shock lead through a Michael Shenton try, but the Wolves bounced back and with five unanswered tries, taking a 26-6 lead at the break.

Castleford did threaten a second half comeback and cut the lead to 40-28 but a Lee Briers interception try 8 minutes from time finally finished the visitors off.

Harlequins RL 29 (Hopkins, Haumono, McLinden, Williams, Weisner tries; Purdham 3 goals; Paul field goal) def. Salford City Reds 28 (Littler 3, Sibbit, Haggerty tries; Myler 4 goals). Att: 3,295.

Harlequins dramatically gained a last minute victory over the Salford City Reds at the Willows. Centre Stuart Littler bagged a hat-trick of tries for the City Reds, but the scores were locked a 28-28 in the final minutes after a late score for the Quins by Pat Weisner.

Henry Paul scored a drop goal with virtually the last kick of the game to snatch the victory. It means Harlequins move seven points clear of Wigan at the bottom of the table.