Engage Super League Rd 16 Review

Hull FC 27 (Yeaman, Cooke, R Horne, Raynor tries; Cooke 5 goals, 1 drop goal) def. St Helens 26 (Fozzard, Long, Wellens, Lyon, Gardner tries; Lyon 3 goals). Att: 9,907.

Hull FC ended an 18-year hoodoo with a famous victory over St Helens at Knowsley Road.

The visitors took a 20-16 lead at the break thanks to tries from Kirk Yeaman, Gareth Raynor and Richard Horne with Paul Cooke adding four goals. Saints points came from tries by Paul Wellins, Nick Fozzard and Sean Long.

A try and conversion after the break from Cooke further stretched Hull's lead but Saints hit back through Jamie Lyon and Ade Gardner to level the scores. With only 6 minutes left on the clock a 45-meter drop goal off the post by Cooke gave the Black and Whites victory, which stretches their wining run to eight games and surely makes them a good bet to reach their first ever Grand Final at Old Trafford in October.

Leeds Rhinos 48 (Donald 2, Walker, Williams, Senior, Lauiti?iti, Burrow, Jones-Buchanan tries; Sinfield 8 goals) def. Wigan Warriors 22 (Goulding, Richards, Orr, Ashton tries; Tickle 2, Dobson goals). Att: 14,899

Leeds Rhinos maintained second place in the engage Super League table with a comfortable victory over the Wigan Warriors at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

Wigan took a shock 12-0 lead with tries from Danny Orr and Chris Ashton, but Leeds produced a devastating spell of footy in which they ran in six tries in a twenty-minute period either side of half time to lead 36-12.

Wigan stopped the rot when promising young centre Darrell Goulding's fine run set up a try for winger Pat Richards. Michael Dobson added the goal but Leeds were quickly back in the groove, with Lauiti?iti producing a neat offload for prop Jamie Jones-Buchanan to score and quick handling from Burrow and Walker working Donald over for his second. The Warriors did manage a late consolation try from Goulding, but this latest defeat still leaves Wigan 6 points adrift at the foot of the table with only twelve games remaining.

Harlequins R.L. 30 (Worrincy, Purdham, Weisner, Paul, Haumono tries; Paul 5 goals) def. Warrington Wolves 28 (Grix 2, Briers, Swann, Barnett tries; Briers 4 goals). Att: 3,691.

Harlequins survived a late scare to gain a vital win over the Warrington Wolves at the Twickenham Stoop.

The home team built up a 12-0 lead at the break with tries from Michael Worrincy and Rob Purdham, both goaled by Henry Paul.

Lee Briers managed to cut the lead to 12-6 with a try and conversation at the start of the second half. Pat Weisner claimed Quins' third try with Paul tagging on the conversion and then on 64 minuets he grabbed his first try for Harlequins to put them firmly in control at 24-6.

Logan Swan narrowed the gap on 69 minutes only for Solomon Haumono to score a minute later and when Paul converted Warrington looked dead and buried. However, the Wolves had other ideas and Richie Barnett scored the first of three tries in five minutes. Simon Grix struck twice and Briers landed both goals to cut Quins' lead to two points at the death. There was not enough time for Wire to find another score as the home team held on for a priceless victory.

Castleford Tigers 26 (Pryce 2, Sculthorpe, Manu, Shenton tries; McGoldrick 2, Huby goals) drew Bradford Bulls 26 (Newton 2, Deacon, Withers, Hape tries; Deacon 3 goals). Att: 7,600.

Castleford snatched a last-gasp draw over the Bradford Bulls at the Jungle.

In a match played in sweltering conditions, The Bulls started the stronger and raced to a 12-0 lead with two converted tries from Michael Withers and Terry Newton. Castleford hit back in style to score three tries from Wayne Pryce, Willie Manu and Danny Sculthorpe to give them a deserved 16-12 lead at the break.

The hosts extended their lead early into the second half when Pryce scored his second. On the hour mark Bradford got back in front with Newton?s second try and a late Shontayne Hape score seemed to have wrapped the game up for the Bulls. However, Michael Shenton had the last laugh for the Tigers with a try in the final minute, with Craig Huby converting from the touchline to give Castleford a well-deserved draw.

Huddersfield Giants 42 (Gardner 3, Wild 2, Jackson, Smith, Snitch tries; De Vere 5 goals) def. Catalans Dragons 34 (Murphy 2, Wilson, Guigue, Chan, Rinaldi tries; Frayssinous 5 goals). Att: 4,017.

Huddersfield boosted their play-off hopes with victory over the Catalans Dragons at the Galpharm Stadium.

In an end-to-end game that produced fourteen tries including a Mat Gardner hat trick, the Giants comfortably led 20-10 at half time.

With twenty minutes left on the clock and trailing 28-16 The Dragons fought back and went ahead with tries from John Wilson, Julien Rinaldi and Justin Murphy adding his second.

However, the fighting spirit that has taken The Giants to the Challenge Cup semi-final, once again shone through and they rallied to win with tries from Paul Smith and Paul Jackson and clinching tries from Stephen Wild and Steve Snitch. Michael De Vere kicked five goals.

For the Dragons Laurent Frayssinous landed five goals with further tries from Renaud Guigue and former Storm favourite Alex Chan.

Salford City Reds 36 (Fitzpatrick 2, Highton, Robinson, Brocklehurst, Sibbit tries; Hodgson 5, Myler goals) def. Wakefield Wildcats 18 (Atkins, Rooney, Betham tries; Rooney 3 goals). Att: 3,871.

Salford City Reds cruised to victory over the Wakefield Wildcats at Belle Vue.

Five first-half tries put Salford in the driving seat; Luke Robinson scored a try and set up two others before the interval as the Reds surged into a 22-0 lead.

Ian Sibbit, Andy Brocklehurst and Paul Highton also crossed before Ryan Atkins got the hosts on the score sheet. However, Karl Fitzpatrick grabbed Salford's fifth before the break and added a second just after.

Monty Betham and Jamie Rooney managed to reply for Wakefield but by then the game was already over for a very disappointing Wildcats.