engage Super League Rd 22 Review

Bradford Bulls 42 (Langley 2, Pryce 2, Vainikolo, Henderson, Hape tries; Deacon 7 goals) def. Wakefield Wildcats 20 (Atkins 2, Rooney 2 tries; Rooney 2 goals). Att: 4,003.

Bradford Bulls ran in seven tries as they comprehensively beat Wakefield Wildcats at Belle Vue.

The Bulls started much the brighter and they out played the home side by racing into a 24-0 lead with tries from Jamie Langley, Lesley Vainikolo and a double for Karl Pryce. Just before the half-time interval, Ryan Atkins scored to cut the lead to 24-4.

Atkins scored his second try just after the restart. But, Bradford restored their commanding lead with tries from Langley and substitute Ian Henderson. Wakefield then responded with two quick-fire Jamie Rooney tries got them to within 16 points of the visitors, but this was as good as it got for the Wildcats as a Shontayne Hape try wrapped up the win for the Bulls.

This result firmly leaves Wakefield in deep trouble at the bottom of the engage Super League table with only six games left.

Harlequins RL 18 (McLinden 3 tries; Purdham 2, Paul goals) def. Hull FC 16 (Tony, Domic, Blacklock tries; Dixon 2 goals). Att: 4,023.

Harlequins ended Hull?s winning run by holding on for victory at the Twickenham Stoop.

The home side started the stronger and thanks to inspirational captain Mark McLinden - who scored a first half hat-trick - they raced into an 18-2 lead at the break.

Hull, who were looking for their fourteenth straight win, came out firing in the second half and thanks to tries from Motu Tony and Sid Domic they cut the Quins lead to 18-10.

Nathan Blacklock's try two minutes from time ensured late drama, but Harlequins managed to hold on for a vital win which eased their relegation fears.

St Helens 18 (Gilmore 2, Fa?asavalu tries; Lyon 3 goals) def. Leeds Rhinos 14 (Ellis, Senior tries; Sinfield 3 goals). Att: 17,700.

St Helens beat close rival Leeds Rhinos in a titanic match at Headingley Carnegie stadium.

Leeds opened the scoring in the fourteenth-minute when Gareth Ellis took Danny McGuire?s pass to score. Kevin Sinfield added the conversion, his 500th in Super League.

Saints drew level when the video referee awarded a try for Maurie Fa'asavalu. The hosts took the lead again with an interception try from Keith Senior. However, right on, Halftime Lee Gilmore slid over and Jamie Lyon?s conversion cut the lead to two points at 14-12.

Due to heavy thunderstorms and torrential rain the error rate went up but the skill level in the game never decreased and on 64 minutes Gilmore scored the decisive try, which gave St Helens the lead for the first time.

With only 11 minutes left Jamie Lyon was sent-off for the visitors for a late challenge on Rhinos scrum-half Rob Burrow. But, the Saints held on for the win that takes them 6 points clear of Leeds at the top of the engage Super League table.

Catalans Dragons 26 (Murphy 2, Jones, Rudder, Beattie tries; Jones 3 goals) def. Salford City Reds 6 (Coley try; Hodgson goal). Att: 5,070.

The Dragons moved off the bottom of the table with a comfortable win over Salford City Reds in the South of France.

Catalans took control from the start, with Chris Beattie going over for a try converted by Stacey Jones. Sean Rudder added a second 10 minutes later, with Jones adding the extras and then crossing himself before the break, to give the hosts an 18-0 lead.

Justin Murphy went over twice in the second half while an Andy Coley try, converted by David Hodgson was all that Salford managed as they struggled to cope with playing in the extreme heat.

Huddersfield Giants 34 (Drew, Brown, Raleigh, Aspinwall, Nero, Gannon tries; De Vere 4, Reilly goals) def. Castleford Tigers 10 (Bird, A. Fletcher tries; Brough goal). Att: 5,573.

Huddersfield Giants kept their top six hopes alive with a comfortable win over Castleford Tigers at the Galpharm stadium.

The visitors scored first when winger Adam Fletcher went over. Brad Drew got the hosts on the scoresheet, but Deon Bird then put Cas back in front only for Kevin Brown to edge the Giants ahead 12-10 at the break.

Huddersfield dominated the second half and ran in four unanswered tries from Andy Raleigh, Jim Gannon, Chris Nero and Martin Aspinwall. The Tigers had Danny Brough sent off late in the game after the half-back reacted angrily to being sin-binned.

Warrington Wolves 22 (Wood, Kohe-love, M.Gleeson tries; Briers 5 goals) def. Wigan Warriors 20 (O?Loughlin, Aston, Tickle tries; Dobson 4 goals). Att: 13,024.

Wigan?s recent wining run came to an end as Warrington cemented their top six place with a narrow win at the Halliwell Jones stadium.

Lee Briers, once again ran the show for the Wolves, who led 10-2 at the break thanks to tries from Martin Gleeson and Toa Kohe-Love. The visitors hit back to level twice at 14-14 and 20-20, but a late penalty goal from Briers settled the outcome.

Paul Wood also crossed for Warrington while Danny Tickle, Sean O'Loughlin and Chris Ashton scored Wigan tries.