engage Super League Rd 24 Review

Leeds Rhinos 12
Tries:   Clarkson, Senior

Goals:  Sinfield 2

Wigan Warriors 26
Tries:   Leuluai, Carmont, Hansen, Gleeson

Goals:  Richards 5

Att:   16,622

Wigan Warriors moved within touching distances of the League Leaders Shield by defeating Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

Played in wet conditions both teams went at each other from the start. Leeds could have then been reduced to 12 men when Carl Ablett came up with a nasty head-high shot on Sam Tomkins, while Ryan Bailey was put on report for lifting his knee on Carmont.

Wigan opened the scoring from Thomas Leuluai after taking Darrell Goulding's kick and they made it 12-0 as George Carmont powered his way over from close range. On the half-time hooter Chris Clarkson gave the Rhinos some hope as he twisted over to cut the gap to 6 points.

Early into the second half Andy Coley was sin-binned for the Warriors and the hosts made the extra man count as Keith Senior levelled things up at 12-12 with a close range effort.

Pat Richards edged the visitors ahead and the lead was increased thanks to Harrison Hansen who raced clear to score from 30 metres out.

The game was won for Wigan when Martin Gleeson caught the Rhinos defence napping to nip in from dummy-half. With Warrington's defeat Wigan are just one win away from finishing top of the table.

Harlequins RL 18

Tries:    Dorn, Sharp, McCarthy-Scarsbrook

Goals:   Purdham 3

Hull FC 42

Tries:    O'Meley 2, Yeaman, Houghton, Turner, Moa, Tansey

Goals:   Tickle 7

Att:    3,982

Hull FC moved back up to fourth with a comprehensive win over Harlequins RL at Twickenham Stoop.

With Leeds losing last night, Hull knew that a win would put them back into the top four; they showed their intent by wrapping up the game in the first half as they led 30-0 at the break.

Mark O'Meley held two defenders off to open the scoring. Kirk Yeaman took a brilliant pass from Shaun Berrigan to race clear. Danny Houghton made it 18-0 with the Black and Whites third try of the game. Jordan Turner and Sam Moa were the other try scorers. Danny Tickle kicked five conversions.

Quins showed real spirit in the second half and gave Hull a fright. Luke Dorn got on the end of a Luke Gale chip kick to get the hosts on the scoreboard. Will Sharp ran half the length of the pitch to score and when Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook finished off a break the lead was cut to 30-18.

However, Hull regained their composure and won the game with tries from O'Meley and Jordan Tansey to claim their first ever win at the Stoop.

Warrington Wolves 24

Tries:    Wood, Clarke, Westwood 2

Goals:   Westwood 4

St Helens 26

Tries:    Ashurst, Foster 2, Meli, Roby

Goals:   Foster 3

Att:    12,863

St Helens kept alive their hopes of a second place finish by defeating local rivals Warrington Wolves in a thriller at HJ Stadium.

With just two points separating these teams on the competition ladder, Warrington came close to opening the scoring on but it was Matty Ashurst who scored out wide to give the visitors the lead.

James Roby combined with Tony Puletua to get Jamie Foster over in the right hand corner as Saints led 10-0. The Wolves hit back through Paul Wood and with the momentum on their side Jon Clarke gave them the lead after good work from Wood.

Saints regained the lead after a good move from the scrum-base was finished off by Francis Meli. On the stroke of half-time Ben Westwood kicked a penalty from 40-metres as the hosts trailed 16-14.

After the re-start the game see-sawed from end-to-end, Ben Westwood scored from close range but Roby hit straight back for St Helens as they led again.

Foster made it 26-20 only for Westwood to set up a tense finish by scoring his second of the game, crucially he missed the conversion. Warrington threw everything at St Helens but it was not to be as the visitors held on for the win to go level with the Wolves in the table.

Bradford Bulls 22

Tries:    Lynch, Olbison, Menzies, Platt

Goals:   Sykes 3

Catalans Dragons 24

Tries:    Sa, Raguin, Bell, Elima

Goals:   Bosc 4

Att:    6,217

Catalans Dragons moved off the bottom of the table by edging past Bradford Bulls at Grattan Stadium Odsal.

With next week's Challenge Cup Semi-Final on their mind the Dragons left out four regulars but they made the best possible start as Setaimata Sa scored from a scrum. Six minutes later a Thomas Bosc pass sent Sebastien Raguin away.

Andy Lynch gave Bradford some hope but they were dealt a major blow when Michael Worrincy was sin-binned seven minutes from the break for persistence infringements. Catalans made the most of their one man advantage as Steven Bell made it 16-6.

However, the Bulls came out strongly in the second half and got back into the game with a score from teenager Tom Olbison. Steve Menzies and Paul Sykes' conversion drew the scores level before on 59-minutes Menzies set up Michael Platt and Sykes added the goal as the hosts led for the first time in the game 22-16.

But just six minutes later Oliver Elima powered over and Bosc's boot proved decisive as the French-side re-took the lead and held on for the win, as Bradford's losing run was extend to 11 games.

Crusaders 60
Tries:    Youngquest 3, Hanbury, Schifcofske 2, Martin 2, O'Hara, Hauraki, Winterstein

Goals:   Schifcofske 8

Salford City Reds 16
Tries:    Ratchford, Cashmere

Goals:   Smith 2

Att:    2,412

Crusaders moved a step closer to a top eight finish by destroying Salford City Reds at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham.

Nick Youngquest got the Welsh outfit on their way with an early unconverted try. Stefan Ratchford and a Matty Smith goal gave Salford the lead briefly, but this was as good as it got for them. Youngquest scored his second moments later as the hosts re-took the lead.

After this the floodgates opened as Crusaders went into the break with a 32-6 advantage. Rhys Hanbury burst through some weak tacking,
Clint Schifcofske, Tony Martin and Ryan O'Hara all got on the score-sheet.

After a slow start to the second period normal service was resumed as the City Reds defence disintegrated. Weller Hauraki, Schifcofske, Martin all went over the whitewash and Youngest went on to complete his hat-trick in a comprehensive win for the Crusaders, who are level on points with eighth place Castleford Tigers with a game in hand.

Ray Cashmere pulled a try back for Salford but Jeremy Smith was sent off for dissent ahead of Karl Fitzpatrick's late score.

Huddersfield Giants 58

Tries:    D Hodgson, Gilmour, Griffin, Lunt, McGillvary, Cudjoe 2, Grix, Brough, Horne

Goals:   Brough 9

Wakefield Wildcats 6

Tries:    Gleeson

Goals:   Jefferies

Att:    6,055

Huddersfield Giants ran in ten tries to demolish the Wakefield Wildcats at the Galpharm Stadium.

For the second time this season the Giants handed out a 50 point drubbing to the poor Wakefield Wildcats.

Kevin Brown made the break and sent in David Hodgson for the opening score. Brown's kick led to a Lee Gilmour score and Brough put Griffin through for his try before Lunt scored a fine solo effort after a slick Huddersfield move.

Jermaine McGillvary and Leroy Cudjoe also crossed before the break as the Giants took their advantage to 36-0.

Sean Gleeson scored Wakefield's only try of the game shortly after the restart but this was only a consolation as the hosts continued their dominance.

Cudjoe made it two for the game before Grix, Brough and Horne completed the scoring as the Wildcats were put out of their misery.

This win for Giants leaves them in sixth place just two points behind fifth place Leeds Rhinos.

Hull KR 28

Tries:    Charnley 3, Briscoe

Goals:   Dobson 6

Castleford Tigers 26

Tries:    Ferres, Arundel, Chase, Jones

Goals:   Westerman 5

Att:    8,104

Hull KR pinched the points with dramatic late win over Castleford Tigers in an exciting game at Craven Park.

Joe Westerman opened the scoring with an early penalty for the visitors but Hull KR grabbed the lead when Josh Charnley went over in the corner. A sweeping move across the full width of the pitch saw Brett Ferres diving in at the corner as the Tigers hit back.

The Robins went back in front as Shaun Briscoe crossed after good work from Mick Dobson and Rhys Lovegrove. Charnel scored his second of the afternoon before Joe Arundel reduced the gap to 18-12 with a walk in try just before the break for Castleford.

Shortly after the re-start Rangi Chase scored underneath the posts to level things up. In a spell of end-to-end action Dobson kicked Rovers in front only for Stuart Jones to touchdown for the Tigers at the other end of the ground.

Charnley claimed his hat-trick of tries when he collected another Dobson punt but Westerman's fifth successful kick of the afternoon levelled the score once more.

But Dobson sent over his long-range effort with the very last kick of the game as Rovers kept the pressure on the Giants and the Rhinos.