engage Super League Rd 6 Review

Hull KR 18 Tries: Colbon, Webster, Murrell Goals: Dobson 3

Wakefield Wildcats 31 Tries: Tronc 2, Obst, Blaymire, Millard Goals: Brough 3, Obst 2 Drop Goal: Blaymire

Att: 8,004

Wakefield Wildcats produced a strong second half performance to defeat Hull KR at Craven Park.

After losing Damien Blanch in the warm up and after last week's hammering, things got worse for the Wildcats as a break from Kris Welham set up Liam Colbon to open the scoring for the hosts. Wakefield responded and got on terms as ex Cowboy Scott Tronc powered his way over to score his first try for his new club.

Rovers took a foothold in the game and took control with a neat passing movement across the line to set up Jake Webster and minutes later Scott Murrell made it 18-6. Just on the half time hooter Danny Brough was sin-binned for holding down.

Despite being down to twelve men Wakefield roared back. Sam Obst burrowed over from dummy-half and his kick set up Matt Blaymire to touchdown as after 50 minutes the game was all square. Just after the hour Daryl Millard leaped high to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the game.

Blaymire added a drop-goal and a late score from Tronc sealed the win as the Wildcats made up for last week's poor performance.

St Helens 37 Tries: Roby, Pryce, Dean, Clough, Meli, Eastmond Goals: Eastmond 6 Drop Goal: Eastmond

Crusaders 30 Tries: Raynor, Blackwood, Thackray, Mellars, Withers Goals: Witt 5

Att: 8,507

St Helens held off a late Crusaders fight-back to claim the points at GPW Stadium Knowsley Road.

With new signing Gareth Thomas watching on in the stands the Crusaders were given a lesson in the first half. James Roby scampered clear to open the scoring for St Helens and try number two from Kyle Eastmond followed shortly after.

Vince Mellars grounded a Michael Witt kick to get the visitors on the scoreboard. But in the last 12 minutes of the half tries from Francis Meli and Chris Dean gave the hosts a healthy 24-6 lead at the break.

The Welsh outfit produced a strong second half performance and got back into the game with a Jamie Thackray score. Two quick-fire tries from Paul Cough and Leon Pryce put Saints well in control as they lead 36-12.

However, the Crusaders roared back and Gareth Raynor raced forty metres and Michael Witt went over for his side's fourth try of the night. Anthony Blackwood touchdown in the corner to make the score 36-30 before St Helens eased their nerves with a late Eastmond drop Goal.

Wigan Warriors 48 Tries: Phelps, Gleeson, Richards, S. Tomkins 2, Goulding 2, Roberts Goals: Richards 8

Hull FC 24 Tries: Hall, Horne, Long, Whiting Goals: Tickle 4

Att: 15,045

League leaders Wigan Warriors made up for last week's defeat by running in eight-tries to defeat Hull FC at DW Stadium.

First and second meet on Friday night, but the Warriors took the early advantage thanks to a penalty goal and try from points machine Pat Richards.

Darrell Goulding scored a fine individual try as the hosts extended their lead, Richard Whiting got the Black and White on the scoreboard before the Warriors powered away to a 24-6 interval lead with further touchdowns from Martin Gleeson and Amos Roberts.

Wigan continued their dominance in the second half. Sam Tompkins sent Goulding in for his second and then he took centre stage by scoring a brace as the hosts took their score past 40 points.

Crag Hall pulled one back for Hull before Cameron Phelps finished off a flowing move and Richards kicked eight from eight to help himself to 20 points.

The Black and Whites showed some pride by scoring two late tries from Shaun Long and Richard Horne as the Warriors ran out easy winners.

Catalans Dragons 16 Tries: Walker, Fakir, McGuire Goals: Mounis 2

Castleford Tigers 20 Tries: Sargent, Chase, Jones, Wainwright Goals: Westerman 2

Att: 6,810

Castleford Tigers got back to winning ways and ended their four match loosing run by defeating Catalans Dragons in Perpignan.

This game only got the go ahead late yesterday after over 100 fans joined the Catalans players in clearing the heavy midweek snow off the pitch. The hosts dominated the early staged and duly took the lead with a try from ex Titan Chris Walker. Jamal Fakir powered his way over as the Dragons looked in command leading 10-0.

Just before the break Castleford were given a lifeline thanks to Mitchell Sargent's touchdown, converted by Joe Westerman, to trail by only four points.

In the early stages of the second period the Tigers continued where they left off and took the lead with tries from Rangi Chase and Stuart Jones.

Hooker Casey McGuire went over and with Gregory Mounis adding the extras the match was all square at 16-16. However, winger Michael Wainwright crossed to win the game for the Tigers, only their second this season.

Warrington Wolves 33 Tries: Myler, Atkins 2, King 2, Monaghan Goals: Bridge 4 Drop Goals: Monaghan

Bradford Bulls 8 Tries: Lynch, Sykes

Att: 10,434

Warrington Wolves moved into joint top spot with a strong performance over Bradford Bulls at H.J. Stadium.

In a strange opening quarter both teams struggled to get going and after a number of handling errors the deadlock was broken on 23-minutes when Andy Lynch crashed over to give Bradford the lead. Warrington hit back after a fine break from Mickey Higham set up England scrum-half Richard Myler to score underneath the posts.

But the Bulls came back into the game and re-took the lead 8-6 after good work from Matt Orford led to Paul Sykes scoring an unconverted try.

Warrington went on the attack in the second half and with some flowing handling they scored five unanswered tries to run out convincing winners. Matt King drew in two defenders to send Ryan Atkins over in the corner. King then added another by scoring in the same corner.

Two quick-fire tries came from Atkins and ex Sea Eagle Michael Monaghan as the Wolves were running riot.

Monaghan added a drop goal before Matt King capped a good game by scoring late on.

Huddersfield Giants 26 Tries: Lunt, Gilmour, Patrick, Aspinwall Goals: Cudjoe 5

Leeds Rhinos 20 Tries: Burrow, McGuire, Hall Goals: Burrow 4

Att: 10,116

Huddersfield Giants came from behind with a strong second-half showing to defeat Leeds Rhinos at Galpharm Stadium.

In a tough battle both teams lost wingers to leg Injuries in the first half. Huddersfield took the lead when neat pass from David Fa'alogo opened up a gap for Shaun Lunt to score straight from the kick off Lee Gilmour went over as the host opened up a 12-0 lead.

Leeds hit back in the final quarter of the half to take control. An Offload from Jamie Peacock set up Rob Burrow and Danny McGuire added another to make the game 12-12. Just on half-time, Brett Delaney's kick led to Ryan Hall going over and giving the Rhinos an 18-12 interval lead.

Ali Lauiti'iti and Andy Raleigh were put in the sin-bin for fighting and this seemed to help the Giants as they found another gear to get back into the game. Larne Patrick powered is way over the line and Martin Aspinwall scored from close range as Huddersfield regained the lead 24-20.

Leroy Cudjoe added a late penalty goal -his fifth goal of the game to clinch a hard-fought win, as the Giants moved up to third just two points behind the leaders.

Harlequins RL 22 Tries: Orr, Temata, Jones-Bishop, Byran Goals: Orr 3

Salford City Reds 26 Tries: Fitzpatrick, Broughton, Tyrer 3 Goals: Holdsworth 3

Att: 2,395

Salford City Reds claimed their first win of the season as they sent Harlequins to the bottom of the table.

Carl Fitzpatrick claimed the first try of the game as he dummied his way over the line.

Already missing several players due to injury Quins loose-forward Jason Golden was carried off on a stretcher but the hosts turned some pressure into points as Danny Orr went over. The Londoners went into the interval leading 12-4 after Karl Temata pounced on a Steve Tyrer mistake.

Harlequins extended their lead early into the second period as Lamont Byran stretched over the line. Tyrer atoned for his early error by scoring a brace as the Reds were back into the game.

On 75-minutes the comeback was complete as Jodie Broughton gave the visitors the lead for the first time in the game. Minutes later Tyrer completed his hat-trick, before Ben Jones-Bishop scored a late consolation for Quins.

Salford's win means they swapped places with Harlequins who go bottom of the Engage Super League table on point's difference.