engage Super League Rd 6 Review

Crusaders 22
Tries: Sammut, Martin, Mellars 2
Goals: Schifcofske, Witt 2

Catalan Dragons 32
Tries: Greenshields 3, Farrar 2
Goals: Dureau 6

Att:    3,517

Catalan Dragons gained their second win of the season by getting past Crusaders at The Racecourse Ground.

Both teams came into this game after losing last week, but it was the visitors who made the better start. A kick to the line by Scott Dureau was seized on by Clint Greenshields to open the scoring. Moments later the defence opened up again as Ben Farrar made it 12-0.

Jarrod Sammut got Crusaders back into the game as he snapped up a loose pass to race 80-metres to score. But just on half-time Greenshields made it 16-6 with his second try of the game after an offload from Steven Menzies.

Two minutes after the restart Tony Martin cut the gap with a try for the hosts, but this was short lived as Greenshields completed his hat-trick, once again after a good offload from Menzies, to make it 22-12 for the French outfit.

However, there was to be another twist in this see-saw half as a quick-fire brace from Vince Mellars levelled thing up at 22-22.

Catalan got back their composure and won the game with another score from Farrar and two penalties from Dureau.

Huddersfield 6
Tries: Robinson
Goals: Brough

Wigan Warriors 20
Tries: O'Loughlin, Charnley, Hoffman
Goals: Charnley 4

Att:    8,151

Wigan Warriors remained the only unbeaten team in Super League with a hard fought win over Huddersfield Giants at Galpharm Stadium.

Despite missing eight players to injury and suspension the Warriors showed their champion quality as their defence was immense all night.

On three minutes Skipper Shaun O'Loughlin opened the scoring for Wigan as Thomas Leuluai's kick was patted back by Josh Charnley. Huddersfield got close to scoring and eventually a towering bomb by Danny Brough was not dealt with by Amos Roberts and on the nod of the video referee Luke Robinson levelled things up.

With both teams cancelling each other out just before the break Charnley edged the Warriors ahead 8-6 with a penalty goal.

Early into the second half a deft kick to the corner by O'Loughlin was caught in full flow by Charnley who went over to score as Wigan made it 14-6.

The Giants laid siege to the Wigan line but the visitors defence was strong and repelled everything the hosts had to throw at it.

In the last ten minutes of the game Charnley made sure of a win for the Champions as he added another penalty and then passed inside for Ryan Hoffman to secure the points for the Warriors.

Hull FC 6
Tries: Tickle
Goals: Tickle

Wakefield Wildcats 20
Tries: Mariano, Lee, Amor
Goals: Griffin 4

Att:    11,032

Wakefield Wildcats moved off the bottom of the table with a good win over Hull FC at KC Stadium.

The hosts started well but failed to make the most of their chances and on 18 minutes a break from hooker Julien Rinaldi set up Frankie Mariano for the open try of the game. Josh Griffin added the extras as the Wildcats went into the break leading 6-0.

Danny Tickle finally got the Black and Whites on the scoreboard as he got over the line and converted from the touchline.

Griffin edged Wakefield in front on the hour mark and the game breaking try came moments later as ex-FC player Tommy Lee powered his way over the line to make it 16-6.

Hull could not get back into the game and the Wildcats put the gloss on the win as on the final hooter Greg Johnson went through a huge gap to set up on-loan Leeds Rhinos prop Kyle Amour to score the final try of the game.

This win for Wakefield puts them on zero points after starting the season on minus four points.

Salford City Reds 34
Tries: Boyle, Broughton, Ratchford, Smith,

Gleeson, Sneyd
Goals: Holdsworth 4, Ratchford

Hull KR 18
Tries: Hall 2, Murrell
Goals: Hall 3

Att:    4,408

Salford City Reds shocked Hull KR by running in six tries to complete an emphatic win at The Willows.

After suffering a heavy defeat at Leeds last week the City Reds came into this game low on confidence against Hull KR who were on a high after Willie Mason debut.

But it was the hosts who started the better as they tore into Rovers. Ryan Boyle opened the scoring after finishing off a flowing handling move and on 19 minutes it got better for Salford as Jodie Broughton squeezed in at the corner after good work by Luke Patten.

However, Rovers clawed themselves back into the game as Blake Green sent Craig Hall in for a try just before the interval.

The visitors started the second half strongly and stunned Salford by scoring two quick-fire tries from Hall and Scott Murrell to lead 18-10.

But the City Reds were to finish in style, as they hit back by running in four tries to seal an impressive win. Stefan Ratchford and Matty Smith scored within a minute of each other.

Sean Gleeson went over on his debut and an interception effort from Mark Sneyd ended proceedings as Salford recorded their second win of 2011.

Leeds Rhinos 16
Tries:   Hall, Hardaker, McShane
Goals:  Sinfield 2

St Helens 30
Tries:   Foster 2, Shenton, Meli, Wellens
Goals:  Foster 5

Att:   16,034

St Helens turned in a strong second half performance to see off Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

With both teams coming into this game down on numbers, it was the youngsters who would take centre stage.

After softening each other up young Saints winger Jamie Foster opened the scoring on 18-minutes after good work by Jonny Lomax.

Just before the break Leeds moved the ball out wide and England winger Ryan Hall touchdown to level things up at 6-6.

Debutant winger Zak Hardaker took a low pass and juggled the ball over the line as the Rhinos took the lead 10-6.

Dean Gaskell sent a high kick to the corner and Michael Shenton out jumped Hall to score. Foster converted as the visitors re-took the lead.

Substitute hooker Paul McShane forced his way over the line from dummy half as Leeds made it 16-12.

However, in the final quarter St Helens stepped up the tempo and added three further tries to win the game. Francis Meli latched on to Scott Moore's pass and joint skipper Paul Wellens effectively won the game with his try.

In the final minutes Foster completed the scoring by juggling the ball over the line and kicking the goal from the touchline for a haul of 18 points, as the Rhinos were handed their second home defeat of the season.

Bradford Bulls 18
Tries: Elima, Scruton 2
Goals: Ah Van 3

Castleford Tigers 14
Chase, Clark
Goals: Dixon 3

Att:    14,348

Bradford Bulls ran out winners at Odsal as Castleford Tigers' 100% start to the season was ended.

After being hammered 50-16 last week at Huddersfield , the Bulls suffered d