engage Super League Rd 9 Review

Leeds Rhinos 20

Tries: Smith 2, Delaney, Sinfield

Goals: Sinfield 2


Bradford Bulls 20

Tries: Nero 2, Halley, Menzies

Goals: Orford 2


Att: 17,244


Leeds Rhinos came from behind to stun the Bradford Bulls and snatch a draw in a thrilling game at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.


Bradford made the better start and made the most of the Rhinos ill discipline and mistakes. On their first attack in Leeds's twenty Matt Orford sent Chris Nero over to score the first try of the game. Orford was instrumental in setting up Dave Halley as the Bulls led 12-0.


It then got even worse for the champions when Steve Menzies took another crisp Orford pass to stretch out for a third Bradford try. The hosts finally got some possession and a sweeping move from left to right was finished off by Lee Smith, who had signed on Wednesday from Wasps for a second spell with the Rhinos.


Leeds came out strongly in the second period but they failed to turn their chances into points and Nero scored his second of the game as the Bulls extended their lead to 20-6. On 57-minutes Danny Buderus was sin-binned but this seemed to galvanise the Rhinos as they were down to 12 men, Webb's half-break creating the position for Brett Delaney to score.


Throwing caution to the wind the Rhinos roared back. Skipper Kevin Sinfield dummied his way over before the returning hero Smith levelled the game up at 20-20 on 75-minutes.


Both sides came close to the winning score but it was not to be as the game ended in stalemate.


Hull KR 14
Tries: Cockayne, Welham

Goals: Dobson 3

Hull FC 18
Tries: Briscoe, Fitzgibbon, Tansey

Goals: Tickle 3


Att: 10,089


Hull FC got the better of city rivals Hull KR in a tight game at Craven Park.


With both teams coming into this game off loses last week, Rovers made the better start and Ben Cockayne intercepted Sean Long's pass to race away to score. Mick Dobson added two goals as the hosts led 8-0. A great one handed pass from ex Rooster Craig Fitzgibbon sent Tom Briscoe in as the Black and Whites got on the scoreboard.


Kris Welham responded for the hosts before Long and Fitzgibbon combined for the veteran Australian to go over and cut the deficit at the break to 14-12.


Three minutes into the second half Danny Tickle added a penalty goal to level things up. Jordan Tansey scored the crucial try for Hull, just after the hour mark after good play by Richard Horne.


Rovers came close to winning the match but Hull held on for their first win at Craven Park in four visits.


St Helens 10
Tries: Gardner, Puletua

Goal: Eastmond

Wigan Warriors 18
Tries: Goulding, Paleaaesina

Goals: Richards 5


Att: 17,500


Wigan Warriors held on to defeat St Helens in the last ever Super League derby at Knowsley Road.


Having not won at St Helens for 7 years Wigan used the wind and driving rain at their backs to perfection. Points machine Pat Richards added a penalty to give the visitors an early lead. Two quick-fire tries from winger Darrell Goulding, a scorer in the last six games and prop Palea'aesina who powered over from close range gave the Warriors a commanding 14-0 half-time lead.


Richards extended Wigan's lead to 16-0 with another penalty before St Helens got a break, Amos Roberts was sin-binned for delaying a play-the-ball and the hosts took advantage. Kyle Eastmond's high kick to the corner found winger Gardner unmarked to claim his third try of the season.


Eastmond added a touchline conversion and the deficit was down to just six points when prop Tony Puletua forced his way over from close range.


Wigan regrouped and held off a Saints charge and won the game thanks again to the boot of Richards to keep two points clear at the top of the Engage Super League table.


Warrington Wolves 32
Tries: Hicks 2, Atkins, Riley 2, Mathers,


Goals: Bridge 2

Salford City Reds 2
Goals: Holdsworth


Att: 11,467


Warrington Wolves ran in 7-tries as they eased to victory over Salford City Reds at the H.J. Stadium.


The visitors scored first with a Daniel Holdsworth penalty. Matt King put Chris Hicks in as Warrington responded. But the Reds missed the chance to level when Holdsworth kicked a straightforward penalty wide and wasted another opportunity to regain the lead when Mathers squeezed Steve Tyrer into touch.


They were made to pay as Ryan Atkins raced the length of the field to give the Wolves a 10-2 lead at the break.


Warrington dominated the second half and punished Salford who made several mistakes. Chris Riley scored a brace with David Solomona, Richard Mathers and another for Hicks all scoring tries in a one way procession.


This win for the Wolves leaves them just two points behind leaders Wigan.


Huddersfield Giants 48
Tries: Faiumu, Gilmour, Brough 2, D Hodgson 2,

Brown, Cudjoe, B Hodgson
Goals: B Hodgson 6

Catalans Dragons 6
Tries: Pelo
Goals: Barthau


Att: 5,926


Huddersfield Giants demolished the Catalans Dragons with a comprehensive win at Galpharm Stadium.


Huddersfield took control early on; an outrageous dummy from David Faiumu allowed the loose forward to waltz his way through a gaping hole for the first try after five minutes.


Then it was new signing Danny Brough who started to run the show, his dummy fed Gilmour for the second on 11 minutes. An excellent third arrived when debutant Frederic Vaccari showed his inexperience by running the ball into touch deep in his own half before Luke Robinson displayed great vision in dribbling the ball through for Brough to touch down. David Hodgson and Kevin Brown added others as the game was all over at the break as the Giants led 26-0.


Catalans made a better start to the second period and they were awarded with a Dimitri Pelo try. Normal service was then resumed as Brough's kick set up Leroy Cudjoe and then Brough scored a fine solo effort on 60-minutes.


David Hodgson then got his second, finishing well in the corner. And Brett Hodgson scored a great breakaway try, which he converted himself, just before the final hooter.


Wakefield Wildcats 19
Tries: Obst, Morton, Leo-Latu
Goals: Cooke 3
Drop Goal: Cooke

Castleford Tigers 6
Tries: Thompson
Goals: Westerman


Att: 8,337


Wakefield Wildcats claimed the points with a win over local rivals Castleford Tigers at the Hearwell Stadium Belle Vue.


Played on a wet surface in difficult handling conditions, the Wildcats drew first blood as Sam Obst scampered over on 14 minutes after a Glenn Morrison offload.


Castleford hit back and levelled up after a Brett Sherwin bomb was spilled by Dale Morton and Jordan Thompson was on hand to score as the side went into the break at 6-6.


Wakefield took the lead as Morton made amends for his mistake after good work from Paul Cooke. The Wildcats then followed up with another try in quick succession, Leo-Latu stretching to pluck a Ben Jeffries kick out of the air and touching down.


Cooke confirmed a Wakefield win with a penalty and a late drop goal.


The match between Crusaders and Harlequins RL at the Gnoll in Neath was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.