Engage Super League
Round 8 review

Leeds Rhinos 34 (McGuire 2, Poching, Walker, Millard, Lauitiiti tries; Burrow 4, Sinfield goals) def. Hull F.C. 26 (Raynor 2, Domic, Yeaman, R. Horne tries; Cook 2, Brough goals). Att: 10,958.

Leeds Rhinos produced a stirring second half performance to keep the pressure on the high-flying Saints by defeating coachless Hull FC at the KC Stadium.

Hull, who came into the game without coach John Kear tore in to the Rhinos and took a 20-12 lead at the break, with tries from Sid Domic, Kirk Yeaman and a brace from ex Rhino Gareth Raynor. Leeds replied with two tries from Super League?s leading try scorer Danny McGuire.

In the second half, the visitors took game by the scruff of the neck and scored four further tries through Chev Walker, Ali Lauitiiti, Willie Poching and Shane Millard. In reply, Richard Horne scored with a fine solo effort for the hosts only try. The Rhinos victory was marred by injuries to Lee Smith?s ankle, Matt Diskin?s ankle and most worryingly, skipper Kevin Sinfield?s leg making them all doubtful for next Thursday?s big derby at Headingley against The Bulls.

Salford City Reds 36 (Fitzpatrick 3, Robinson, Hodgson, Sibbit tries; Wilshere 6 goals) def. Huddersfield Giants 18 (Paul, De Vere, Aspinwall tries; Thorman 3 goals). Att: 4,084. The City Reds continued their impressive run with an excellent win over the Huddersfield Giants in horrendous conditions at a very soggy Willows.

In form Salford full-back Karl Fitzpatrick grabbed a superb hat-trick for Reds as they overwhelmed the Giants. Ian Sibbit, David Hodgson and Luke Robinson also crossed for the home side while John Wilshere kicked six goals from eight attempts.

Huddersfield fought hard for an hour, with tries from Michael De Vere, Robbie Paul and Martin Aspinwall, but in the end, the home side recorded a comfortable victory to go to third place in the Engage Super League Table.

St Helens 16 (Graham, Wellens, Gardner tries; Lyon 2 goals) def. Harlequins R.L. 6 (McLinden try; Gafa goals). Att: 9,520. St Helens kept their 100% record by defeating a much-improved Harlequins RL in atrocious conditions. Driving rain battered the Knowsley Road pitch for the majority of the game but Saints managed to record their eighth straight league win this season.

Tries by Ade Gardner and Paul Wellens gave the hosts a narrow first half lead with Mark McLinden, who was returning from injury, scoring the Quin?s only try. Youngster James Graham crashed over to rap the game up for the Saints, earning them a hard fought victory.

Wakefield Wildcats 40 (Korkidas, Whittle, Rooney, Demetriou, Obst, Halpenny tries; Rooney 8 goals) def. Wigan Warriors 14 (Dallas 2, Brown tries; Richards goal). Att: 4,557.

The once mighty Wigan Warriors remained anchored to the foot of the Engage Super League table after a hammering by the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats at Belle Vue.

First-half tries from Michael Korkidas, Jamie Rooney, Colum Halpenny, Jon Whittle and Jason Demetriou gave the home team a commanding half time lead to put the game well beyond the Warriors, and this time the Wildcats showed no sign of a second half melt down.

The visitor?s response from Brett Dallas (2) and Kevin Brown was scant consolation in the face of near one-way traffic. This was sweet revenge for Wakefield against the same opponents, who knocked them out of the Powergen Challenge Cup last Sunday.

Warrington Wolves 22 (Wood, M Gleason, Bridge, Fa?afili tries; Briers 3 goals) def. Bradford Bulls 18 (Pryce 2, Vagana, B Harris tries; Deacon goal). Att: 11,136.

Reigning Engage Super League champions Bradford Bulls suffered their first home defeat for 10 months at the hands of Warrington Wolves on a paddy field of a pitch at Odsal.

The Bulls took an early lead through Karl Pryce, but Warrington hit back with a try from ex-Bull Chris Bridge and despite Pryce?s second try the visitors took an 18-8 interval lead with further tries from Paul Wood and a fine solo effort from Great Britain centre Martin Gleeson.

Bradford hit back with an early second try from Joe Vagana only for Henry Fa?afili to score a decisive try after finishing off a Lee Briers interception. Ben Harris reduced the deficit to four points but despite intense pressure from the home team, the Warrington defence held tight.

At the end of the day, the difference between the two teams was the goal kicking of Warrington?s Lee Briers as the usual reliable Bulls marksman Paul Deacon appeared to have left his kicking boots at home.

Catalans Dragons 51 (Verges 3, Hughes 2, Guisset 2, Murphy, Bosc tries; Dobson 7 goals; 1 field goal) def. Castleford Tigers 14 (Platt, Roarty, Dyer tries; Kain goal). Att: 6,109.

Catalans Dragons recoded their third win of the season with an impressive nine-try victory over Castleford Tigers in Carcassonne. The home team took a 20-10 half time lead with tries from Thomas Bosc, Mark Hughes and brace from Bruno Verges. The Tigers tries came from Michael Platt and Ben Roarty.

Catalans took complete control of the game in the second half with five further tries with a second from Mark Hughes, a brace from Jerome Guisset and Justin Murphy. The Tigers did manage a try from Luke Dyer, but in the last minute Verges scored out wide to complete his hat trick. On loan scrum-half Mick Dobson chipped in with a personal tally of 15 points.

Since the arrival of the Dragons? new coach, Australian Mick Potter, it appears that the French outfit have been given a new lease of life. With the imminent return of playmaker Stacy Jones they are now beginning to show their true potential to compete in the Engage Super League.