engage Super League XII Round 1 review

Harlequins R.L. 14 (Orr, Hopkins, Wells tries; Sykes goal) def. St Helens 6 (Gidley try; Long goal). Att: 7,515

Harlequins produced the first shock of the new season as they gained a stunning victory over engage Super League Champions St Helens at Knowsley Road.

The game was played in atrocious conditions with flurries of snow falling thought the game.

It was the visitors who got the first points on the board when Danny Orr intercepted James Roby's pass to score. The home side hit back with a Matt Gidley try after a good offload from Leon Pryce. Lee Hopkins then scored a try to give the Quins a 10-6 lead at the break.

With the conditions getting even worse Saints tried to get back in to the game but on 60 minutes a John Wells score effectively sealed victory for visitors.

Quins defence held water tight in the closing minutes as they clinched a valuable two points.

Warrington Wolves 14 (Anderson, Barnett tries; Briers 4 goals) def. Wigan Warriors 10 (Calderwood, Vaealiki tries; Richards goal).Att: 21,693

Warrington got their season off to the perfect start with a hard-fought win over Wigan Warriors at a packed JJB Stadium.

In front of a record, opening day crowd, the visitors stunned the hosts to take a 12-2 first half lead. Richie Barnett opened the scoring with Vinny Anderson adding another. Lee Briers kicked two goals.

As the pitch started to cut up, in the second half, Wigan hit back with tries by Mark Calderwood and David Vaealiki. However, the immaculate kicking of Briers made the win secure for the Wolves.

Hull K.R. 14 (Cockayne, Murrell tries; Morton 3 goals) def. Wakefield Wildcats 9 (Obst try; Rooney 2 goals, 1 field goal). Att: 7,154

Hull K.R. got off to a dream start to life in the Super League with a dramatic last minute win over Wakefield Wildcats at Craven Park.

After 18 years in the wilderness the Robins were off to the best possible start with an early Scott Murell converted try.

The visitors leveled the match when Sam Obst burrowed is way over from dummy half. But, just before the break a Gareth Morton penalty gave the host