engage Super League XII Round 4 review

Results and reports: Round 4 of the European Super League.

Round 4 2007

St Helens 34 Tries: Gilmour, Fozzard, Tyrer, Gardner, Wilkin, Talau Goals: Tyrer 5

Bradford Bulls 22 Tries: Hape 2, Langley, Solomona Goals: Deacon 3

Att: 11,793

St Helens got back to winning ways in the Super league and inflicted a first defeat of the season on Bradford Bulls at Knowsley Road.

Saints got off to a whirlwind start and raced into a 28-0 lead inside the first twenty minutes. Nick Fozzard opened the scoring; the other tries came from John Wilkin, Willie Talau and Lee Gilmour. Youngster Steve Tyrer added four conversations - on his debut. Just before the break, Bradford added two quick fire converted tries from Shontayne Hape and Jamie Langley.

In The early stages of the second half the Bulls pounded the Saints line but they could not get over the whitewash and a break from John Wilkin set up Tyrer to score his first try and extended the home side's lead to 34-12.

The visitors scored two consolations from David Solomona and a second for Hape as the Saints held on for the two points.

Wigan Warriors 16 Tries: Calderwood, O'Loughlin, Millard Goals: Richards 2

Hull K.R. 26 Tries: Ford 2, Fisher, Morton, Dyer Goals: Morton 3

Att: 15,178

engage Super League newcomers Hull K.R. produced a superb performance to see off Wigan Warriors at JJB Stadium.

The Visitors were full value for their 26-0 lead at the break. They scored Tries from Ben Fisher, Luke Dyer, Gareth Morton and a brace for Byron Ford; they even scored two tries when down to twelve men with Jason Netherton in the sin-bin. Wigan offered little and they were booed off the pitch as the break.

Wigan stepped up the pace in the second half and cut the gap to 10 points as Mark Calderwood, Shane Millard and Sean O'Loughlin went over. However, this was as good as it got for the hosts with Rovers producing some brave defence they managed to hold their line tight and survive the onslaught to claim a famous victory.

Harlequins R.L. 12 Tries: Gafa, Hill Goals: Sykes 2

Warrington Wolves 19 Tries: Gleeson, Fa'afili 2, Reardon Goals: Bridge Drop Goal: Bridge

Att: 3,132

Warrington Wolves came from behind to end Harlequins ' unbeaten start to the 2007 engage Super League season

Two tries, in the first quarter for the hosts by Australian duo Matt Gafa and Scott Hill gave the Quins a 12-0 lead.

Warrington hit back immediately with a Martin Gleeson try after a neat pass from Lee Briers.

Henry Fa'afili's tries both sides of the break put the Wolves in front and the comeback was complete when Stuart Reardon burst through to wrap the game up for the visitors.

Salford City Reds 10 Tries: Dorn, Alker Goals: Wilshere

Catalans Dragons 0

Att: 4,085

Salford City Reds got their first win of the season in a dour game with Catalans Dragons at the Willows.

After Luke Dorn's early try - his first for his new club - played in wet conditions both sides struggled to hold the ball, which resulted in a scrappy game.

Finally, with 10 minutes left on the clock Malcolm Alker burrowed his way over from dummy half to secure the win for the hosts.

This result still leaves the Dragons yet to register a point on both of their visits to Salford.

Hull F.C. 6 Tries: Tickle Goals: Tickle

Wakefield Wildcats 19 Tries: Demetriou, March, Ferres Goals: Rooney 3 Drop Goal: Rooney

Att: 13,229

Wakefield Wildcats went top of the table with a comprehensive win over Hull F.C. at K.C. Stadium.

The visitors got off to the prefect start with a Jason Demetriou score. Hull leveled the game up with a Danny Tickle try and conversation.

Paul March's try and two Jamie Rooney goals gave the visitors a useful 12-6 lead at the break.

In the second half Brett Ferres try put the Wildcats into an unassailable lead and the icing on the cake was a Rooney drop-goal on 75 minutes.

This result leaves last years grand finalists still looking for there first win of the season.

Leeds Rhinos 16 Tries: Smith, Jones Buchanan, Toopi Goals: Sinfield 2

Huddersfield Giants 12 Tries: Crabtree, Thorman Goals: Thorman 2

Att: 15,703

Leeds Rhinos earned a hard fought victory over winless Huddersfield Giants at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

Played in non-stop rain, on a heavy pitch the Giants took the lead with a Chris Thorman penalty goal. Leeds took the lead with a Clinton Toopi score, after good work by Rob Burrow. Earl Crabtree finished off a following passing movement to give the visitors an 8-4 lead but a tries from Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Lee Smith gave the Rhinos an 14-8 lead at half-time.

Huddersfield dominated most of the second half, but Leeds extended their lead with a Kevin Sinfield penalty goal.

Down to twelve men, -with Brent Webb being in the sin-bin for a second time. The Rhinos held on for victory despite a late Thorman try, for the visitors.

Paul Reilly and centre Jamahl Lolesi were also sin-binned for Huddersfield, who are still seeking their first points of the season.