engage Super League XIV - Round 5 Review

Leeds Rhinos 46
Tries: Senior, Jones-Buchanan, Hauraki, Watkins, Webb, Ablett 2, Lauitiiti
Goals: Sinfield 7
Salford City Reds 12
Tries: Ratchford, Sidlow
Goals: Holdsworth 2
Att: 13,068

Leeds Rhinos got back to winning ways as they disposed of Salford City Reds at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

Coming into this game on the back of successive defeats, the Rhinos also had injury woes as they did not have a recognised prop available for selection.

Salford made this count, and after dominating the early stages of the game, Daniel Holdsworth put through a grubber kick which was taken by Stefan Ratchford to give the visitors an early 6-0 lead.

On 18 minutes, Leeds finally got themselves back into the game as veteran centre Keith Senior forced his way over. Ten minutes later, Weller Hauraki and Brent Webb combined for Jamie Jones-Buchanan to cross the line and Hauraki quickly followed that with a try of his own as the hosts took control. Just moments before the interval Matty Smith set up Adam Sidlow as the visitors cut the gap to 18-12.

But this was to as good as it got for the City Reds as Leeds hit them with five unanswered tries. Kallum Watkins went over in the corner before Kevin Sinfield set up Webb for another. Carl Ablett helped himself to a quick-fire brace as match as put of Salford's reach.

In the last minutes of the game Ali Lauitiiti made sure of a comfortable win for the Rhinos as he added his sides eighth touchdown of the night.

St Helens 16
Tries: Meli, Graham, Roby
Goals: Eastmond, Foster
Harlequins RL 27
Tries: Dorn, Pryce, Clubb, Kouparitsas
Goals: Gale 5
Drop Goal: Gale
Att: 6,050

Harlequins RL continued their fine start to the season as they claimed another big scald by seeing of St Helens at Stobart Stadium, Widnes.

Saints gave a debut to ex Kangaroo Prop Josh Perry but it was the visitors who made the better start and stunned the hosts by taking the lead on three minutes after good work by Rob Purdham led to a Luke Dorn try.

Moments later winger Karl Pryce bulldozed his way over the line from 10 metres out as Quins led 10-0.

The Londoners moved further ahead as England Centre Tony Clubb made the most of some soft defence to touchdown. Luke Gale added the extras and kicked a penalty as the half ended with Quins in total command leading 20-0.

After getting an ear bashing from coach Royce Simmons, St Helens started the second period much better and cut the gap thanks to a Francis Meli try. Captain James Graham crashed over shortly after as a comeback looked on.

However, James Roby's forced pass was intercepted by Nick Kouparitsas, who ran 40-meters to put Quins back in control.

Gale added a drop goal five minutes from the end before Roby grabbed a last-minute consolation try for Saints.

So for Harlequins this was only their second win at St Helens in the summer era as Saints continue to struggle for a win at their new temporary home.

Wakefield Wildcats 6
Tries: Griffin
Goals: Griffin
Warrington Wolves 22
Tries: Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Myler
Goals: Westwood 3
Att: 5,072

Warrington Wolves made it four wins on the bounce as they eased past Wakefield Wildcats at The Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

After dominating from the start it took six minutes for the Wolves to register the first try as Chris Riley followed up Richard Myler - high kick to score.

If got even better for the visitors as Chris Bridge, who was back in the side from injury, jinked his way over the line. Ex Wildcat Ben Westwood added the extras as Warrington went into half time leading 10-0.

Another ex Wildcat Ryan Atkins also got on the score-sheet as he scored an easy try just after the restart.

Myler eased his way through the line for Warrington's fourth try of the night to effectively claim the points.

Wakefield did show some spirit and scored a consolation try through Josh Griffin who charged down lee Briers kick to score.

Castleford Tigers 34
Tries: Huby, James, Dixon, Chase, Youngquest, Arundel
Goals: Dixon 5
Catalans Dragons 24
Tries: Dureau 2, Blanch, Stacul
Goals: Dureau 4
Att: 4,889

Castleford Tigers came from behind to see off Catalans Dragons at Probiz Coliseum.

The French visitors made the running early on and they were rewarded by taking the lead on four minutes as Ian Henderson's high kick led to Scott Dureau touching down.

Dureau was on hand again as his clever chip kick set up Damien Blanch to make it 10-0 for the Dragons.

Castleford brought on veteran prop Nick Fozzard and this made an immediate impact as his run paved the way for Craig Huby to plunge over. Stuart Jones charged over as the hosts took the lead 12-0.

Just before the interval Dureau was on the mark again to score his second try of the game and he also popped over a penalty goal to give Catalan an 18-12 lead.

In the second half the Tigers upped the tempo and hit back to take command of the game. Kirk Dixon cut gap with a try out wide and then they took the lead with a clever solo try from halfback Rangi Chase.

The game was sealed as the hosts scored two length-of- the-field efforts from Nick Youngquest and youngster Joe Arundel.

Cyril Stacul did mange a late consolation for the Dragons as the Tigers remain the only team in Engage Super League XVI with a 100% record.

Huddersfield Giants 50
Tries: McGillvary 2, Cudjoe, Fa'alogo, Grix, Patrick, Horne 2, Ferguson
Goals: Brough 7
Bradford Bulls 16
Tries: Ainscough, Herbert, Raynor
Goals: Ah Van 2
Att: 9,466

Huddersfield Giants moved top of the engage Super League with a nine try demolition of the Bradford Bulls at Galpharm Stadium.

The game was over as a contest by the break as the Giants ran in five first half tries to lead 30-6.

Jermaine McGillvary scored the first, of three tries in the first ten-minutes, after two Bulls players collided while attempting to reach a pass. Leroy Cudjoe and David Fa'alogo were the other scorers.

Scott Grix, Larne Patrick and Graham Horne also went over the line in a one-sided half. Shaun Ainscough replied for Bradford.

On 44 minutes McGilvary added his second of the game and Huddersfield continued their attacking skills despite Luke O'Donnell spending 10-minutes in Sin-bin for a professional foul on Brett Kearney. New Signing Dale Ferguson and Horne were the other scores.

Marc Herbert and Gareth Raynor both went over late on for Bradford, but these were only consolations as the visitors we never in the game.

Hull KR 40
Tries: Galea, Murrell, Watts, Welham 2, Webster, Green
Goals: Hall 6
Crusaders 22
Tries: Reardon 2, Sammut, Lupton
Goals: Schifcofske 3
Att: 8,602

New signing Willie Mason inspired Hull KR to a convincing win over Crusaders at Craven Park.

Mason only arrived in the UK last Monday and he was thrown straight into the mix by been given his Rovers debut from the start.

Big Willie showed is skill by offloading the ball to set up Ben Galea for the opening try of the game.

Scott Murrell added a second before Mason then side-stepped his way through the visiting defence on 17 minutes before handing a pass inside to Liam Watts who scored underneath the posts.

Stuart Reardon pulled one back for the visitors but Kris Welham add another just before the break as the hosts led 24-6.

Early into the second period Rovers killed the game off with tries from Jake Webster and Blake Green.

The Welshside showed some sprit by hitting back with a three try burst. Reardon added his second with Jarrod Sammut and Peter Lupton also going over.

However, Rovers had the final word when Welham broke away for his second.

Wigan Warriors 14
Tries: Hoffman, Charnley 2
Goals: S. Tomkins
Hull FC 12
Tries: Westerman, Briscoe
Goals: Tickle, Westerman
Att: 15,346

Despite playing part of the game with twelve men, the Wigan Warriors grounded out a narrow win over Hull FC at DW Stadium.

Hull gave a debut to ex Wigan fullback Cameron Phelps , but he got off to the worst possible start as he was out jumped by Ryan Hoffman who scdore the games first try on three minutes.

Sam Obst' break got the Black and Whites back into the game as Joe Westerman forced his way over the line.

The visitors moved into a 10-4 half time lead thanks to Tom Briscoe's score millimetres for the dead ball line.

Westerman slotted over an early second half penalty as Hull increased their lead.

On 54-minutes a Shaun O'Loughlin long pass set up young winger Josh Charnley who touchdown in the corner to give Wigan some hope.

The game erupted 10 minutes later as the Warriors were reduced to twelve men when second row Joel Tompkins was shown a red card for leading with the elbow.

However, Wigan showed their champion quality as Charnley got them level with his second score of the game and Sam Tomkins snatched the win by kicking a late penalty goal.