Engage Super League XVI Review - Round 24

Engage Super League XVI Round 24 review by Simon Reuben

Crusaders climbed off the bottom of the table with victory over fellow strugglers Harlequins RL at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham.

After withdrawing their Super League application  two weeks ago , Crusaders returned home for the first time and they had everything to play for as they tried an avoided the dreaded wooden spoon.

The hosts were certainly going down with a fight and took the lead when a mistake by youngster Dan Sarginson saw Tony Martin virtually go the full length of the field. A quick play the ball led to Jason Chan scoring his side first try of the night.

On 12-minutes Martin was at the heart of everything as he dashed down the line to set up Stuart Reardon as the Welsh outfit made it 12-0.

Sarginson made up for his error as he spotted a gap in the home defence and scored near the posts. Bradford bound Luke Gale added the extras as Quins got themselves into the game only trailing 12-6.

The hosts came close to adding to their score but it was not to be as the teams went into the break with the game up for grabs.

Shortly after the restart Olsi Krasniqi dropped the ball 10 meters from his line and substitute Lloyd White strolled over as Crusaders extended their lead. Quins would not go away and they were still alive as Sarginson cut inside to score.

But on the day it was announced that Richard Moore would move back to Leeds Rhinos - where he started his career in the Academy - the big forward powered his way over the line to effectively win the Welsh side the game.

Michael Witt added a one pointer and then young Welsh winger Elliott Kear took a Witt cross kick to score out wide and claim back to back wins for the Crusaders.

Celtic Crusaders 31 (Chan, Reardon, White, Moore and Kear tries. Schifcofske 5 goals. Witt field goal) defeated Harlequins RL 12 (Sarginson 2 tries. Gale 2 goals.) Att: 2,259

Hull FC moved one step nearer a top eight finish by running out comfortable winners over Catalan Dragons at the KC Stadium.

With the pack moving in on them, The Black and Whites needed a win to keep alive their play-off hopes. For the Dragons they still had a shout of making it into the top four.

But the hosts made a strong start and after good work by Danny Houghton, big forward Sam Moa barged his way over the line, with Danny Tickle adding the conversion.

Daryl Millard scored out wide for Catalan, but it was Hull who scored next as Kirk Yeaman claimed his 19 try of the season.

Just before the break Catalan were reduced to twelve men as Cyril Gossard was sin-binned.  Tickle kept popping the goals over as the hosts stretched their lead to 16-4.

With a one man advantage The Black and Whites hit the French side with two early second half tries.  Cameron Phelps and Lee Radford both went over as the hosts took control.

The game was all over as Joe Westerman side stepped his way over the line and Richard Horne took a Yeaman off load to add another.

Yeaman was yellow carded for fighting and Vincent Duport grabbed a late consolation five minutes from time for Catalans but the game had already gone

Hull FC 40 (Moa, Yeaman, Phelps, Radford, Westerman and Horne tries. Tickle 8 goals.) defeated Catalan Dragons 8 (Millard and Duport tries.) Att: 10,739

Leeds Rhinos kept up their good run of form by handing out a 10 try thrashing to nil Castleford Tigers at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

In a repeat of last week's epic Challenge Cup semi-final, the Rhinos and Tigers met again this time for two points.

Castleford were down to their bare bones and with Leeds at nearly full strength the result was never in doubt.

The hosts missed some guilt edge chances before on 18 minutes Castleford winger Richard Owen let the ball roll around his in goal area and Jamie Jones-Buchanan pounced for the opening try of the game.

Jones-Buchanan sent Ryan Hall clear to make it 12-0 and then substitute Rob Burrow put Kallum Watkins in for the Rhinos third try of the night. Kevin Sinfield added a penalty just on half-time to give his side a 20-0 lead.

The game as a contest was all over at the start of the second period as Leeds helped themselves to three quickfire scores. Brent Webb grabbed the first after Carl Ablett and Danny McGuire combined to send him clear, Jones-Bishop then raced in at the right corner after taking Weller Hauraki's long pass before Kevin Sinfield sent Ali Lauitiiti in.

There was no let up as the Rhinos inflicted more punishment on the poor Tigers, who were out on their feet. Rob Burrow added a brace with Danny Buderus, McGuire and Webb taking the score past the fifty point barrier.

So this was Leeds