Engage Super League XVI Round 17 Review

Catalan Dragons stayed on the tails of the top four by seeing off Crusaders at Gilbert Brutus in Perpignan.

In the battle of the non English clubs, the first quarter was a tight affair and the deadlock was finally broken as Clinton Schifcofske kicked a penalty goal.

Catalan brought on ex Warrior, hooker Ian Henderson and his introduction got the Dragons going as they began to dominate territory.

On 27 minutes Henderson began the move which led to Daryl Millard giving the hosts the lead. Seven minutes later the Dragons scored again as Henderson handed the ball on to Steve Menzies and the veteran second row put Jean-Philippe Baile over to touch down. Dureau again added the conversion to make it 12-2 at half time.

Early into the second half Crusaders got back into the game as a mistake from David Ferriol was punished by Lloyd White who went over unopposed.

Two quickfire tries moments later gave the French outfit a healthy lead. Dureau's pass led to Stemmata Sa scoring and from the kick off Damien Blanch raced in from 40 meters.

12 minutes from time Crusaders railed again. Jordan Tansey stepped and jinked his way over and then Jarrod Sammut chipped over the full-back to touch down under the posts. Schifcofske's conversion reduced the score to 24-18.

Durau added a one-pointer to edge the host's further ahead and then Blanch added his second try of the night as the Dragons kept up their good run of form to cement fifth place.

Catalan Dragons 31
Tries: Blanch 2, Millard, Baile, Sa
Goals: Dureau 5
Drop Goal: Dureau
Crusaders 18
Tries: White, Tansey, Sammut
Goals: Schifcofske 3

Att: 7,125

Hull FC got back to winning ways by easing past Harlequins RL at KC Stadium.

After not winning a game for a month and having four players on International duty on Friday nights, Hull FC could not have asked for an easier game to get their confidence back.

Quins, who should have been fresher after none of their players, were on representative duty trailed early on as Mark Calderwood's mistake led to Jordan Turner giving FC the lead on six minutes.

It was not Calderwood day against his old club as he collided with Chris Riley to gift Willie Manu a try. Joe Westerman began to pull the strings as he set up Sam Obst for the Black and Whites third try of the half.

Just before half time Tom Briscoe made it 20-0 with his 12 try of the season as the hosts took an unassailable lead.

Early into the second period Hull wrapped up the game with quick-fire tires from Richard Horne and Sam Moa.

Chris Melling made sure Quins avoided been nilled as he went over on 58 minutes.

But Richard Whiting had the last say as he went through a big gap in the visitors defence.

So Hull make up for last week's defeat by bitter rivals Hull KR and for Quins it's now seven games on the spin without a win.

Hull FC 38
Tries: Turner, Manu, Obst, Briscoe, Horne, Moa, Whiting
Goals: Tickle 4, Westerman
Harlequins RL 6
Tries: Melling
Goals: Gale

Att: 11,139

League leaders Warrington Wolves were edged out by local neighbours Salford City Reds at a wet Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Warrington coach Tony Smith played all six of his players who were involved in Friday night's Rep. Game at Headingley.

The free scoring Wolves made the best start and took the lead through Chris Bridge who latched on to Richard Myler's kick. Mark Henry denied Ryan Atkins another try by holding up over the line.

Salford finally got down into the oppositions twenty and Wayne Godwin and Daniel Holdsworth combined to send Sean Gleeson powering his way over the line. Holdsworth converted as the City Reds led 6-4.

Lee Biers made it 10-6 to the hosts as he strolled over just before the break.

Early into the second half Salford roared back and took the lead .Luke Patten took Gleeson's pass to scorch 30 metres for a converted try. Then the Reds full-back combined with Holdsworth to give Henry a walk-in at the corner.

Holdsworth kicked the goal from the touchline and leading 18-10 Salford were well on top as Warrington began to tire.

Myler made it a frantic finish as the Wolves closed the gap. But the City Reds held on as they gained revenge for their 60-0 thrashing over Easter.

Warrington Wolves 16
Tries: Bridge, Briers, Myler
Goals: Hodgson 2
Salford City Reds 18
Tries: Gleeson, Patten, Henry
Goals: Holdsworth 2, Henry

Att: 10,339

Castleford Tigers turned in sterling second half performance to gain a draw over Wigan Warriors at Probiz Coliseum.

Wigan rested Sam Tomkins and George Carmont, but played five others who were on duty on Friday night.

Castleford left Exiles star Rangi Chase on the bench and they struggled in the slippy conditions.

The Warriors were in total control as they led 22-4 at the interval with tries from Brett Finch, Josh Charnley, Paul Prescott and Joel Tomkins.

Dean Widders scored just before the break as the Tigers were hoping to put up a better show in the second half.

With the introduction of Chase Castleford produced a stunning second half display to come back and snatch a draw as Wigan tired in the last quarter.

Joe Arundel scored a brace from close range with Martin Aspinwall adding another. Richard Mathers was the hero as in the last minute he took Chases pass to score out wide.

Crucially Kirk Dixon had an off day with the boot and he missed the chance for the Tigers to win the game.

But, for Wigan it was their third draw of the season and worryingly it was a second game on the bounce that they have failed to score in the second half.

Castleford Tigers 22
Tries: Arundel 2, Widders, Aspinwall, Mathers
Goals: Dixon 1
Wigan Warriors 22
Tries: Finch, Charnley, Prescott, Tomkins
Goals: Richards 3

Att: 7,263

Huddersfield Giants missed a big chance to go top of the league as they were shocked by Wakefield Wildcats at Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

The Giants were without forwards David Faiumu and David Fa'alogo who played for the Exiles against England on Friday.

Most crucially, they were without Wakefield old boy Danny Brough, as they look like being for the next two months.

Played throughout in persistent rain Wakefield adapted better to the conditions and they shut out the Giants in the first half to lead 10-0 at half time.

Luke George scored the only try of the first half and the other points came for the boot of Gareth Moore.

Moore added another early into the second period before the Giants hit back. The Giants finally got on the scoreboard when Shaun Lunt dived over from dummy half. Leroy Cudjoe adding the extras.

A 20-meter drop goal from Moore made it 13-6 to the Wildcats as Huddersfield needed two scores to take the lead.

James Cording gave Huddersfield some hope as he slid over the line, but Wakefield showed some dogged spirit to hold on a deserved win to move clear of bottom placed Crusaders.

Wakefield Wildcats 13
Tries: George
Goals: Moore 4
Drop Goal: Moore
Huddersfield Giants 10
Tries: Lunt, Cording
Goals: Cudjoe

Att: 5,436

St Helens claimed a dramatic draw against Bradford with the last kick of the game at Odsal.

Played in wet, blustery conditions the error count was high but it did produce an entertaining game with a dramatic climax.

Saints, rested Francis Meli but Sia Soliola and Tony Puletua backed up from Friday's Origin match, along with England internationals Michael Shenton, Jon Wilkin and James Graham.

James Roby, despite playing with a fractured eye socket, sped away from dummy half to set up Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook to charge over for the opening try of the game.

Brett Kearney beat Paul Wellens to gather the ball from Marc Herbert's high kick and touchdown to level for the Bulls.

Skipper Andy Lynch then romped through a gap in the Saints defence, Patrick Ah Van adding both conversions to make it 12-6.

But he then missed an easy penalty goal and Saints drew level five minutes before half-time when Roby's lightning pass caught out the Bradford defence, allowing winger Tommy Makinson to score in the corner.

As the rain continued to fall, scoring in the second half became difficult. Au Van looked to have won it as he kicked his third goal of the game.

However, in the last play of the game referee James Child awarded a penalty for obstruction on Lee Gaskell as the final hooter was about to sound. Jamie Foster kicked the goal as Saints deservedly shared the spoils in a tough game.

Bradford Bulls 14
Tries: Lynch, Kearney
Goals: Au Van 3
St Helens 14
Tries: McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Makinson
Goals: Foster 3

Att: 13,224

Leeds Rhinos bounced back from two heavy defeats to hammer Hull KR at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

Rovers came into this game full of confidence looking for fourth successive win over Leeds and after last week's great Derby win over Hull FC.

The Rhinos on the other hand were low in confidence after suffering two 40 point hammerings and had five players backing up from Friday night's International.

With standing water on the pitch after hours of heavy rain, Leeds adapted to the conditions better and took the lead after Lee Smith slid over early on.

Ben Galea and Kris Welham then combined to send winger Cockayne aqua-planing over the line as Rovers got back into the game.

However, the Rhinos hit back with tries from Ryan Hall and Weller Haruaki. Just on Half time the conditions played their part as Welham followed up his own kick to reduce the gap to 16-10.

Early in to the second period Cockayne lost the ball and Danny McGuire was on hand to increase the hosts lead.

Rovers then produced one of the best passing moves of the game for centre Craig Hall to score in the right corner, only for Ryan Hall to grab his second try of the game for the Rhinos.

Leeds defied the conditions and turned on the style to run out easy winners. McGuire, Kevin Sinfield and Brett Delaney combined to send winger Zak Hardaker in at the right corner.

Hall completed his hat-trick with a try in the left corner before Hardaker became a try-maker with a splendid burst, slipping the ball inside for centre Delaney to score his sides eight try of the game as the Rhinos got some confidence back.

Leeds Rhinos 44
Tries: Hall 3, Smith, Hauraki, McGuire, Hardaker, Delaney
Goals: Sinfield 6
Hull KR 14
Tries: Cockayne, Welham, Hall
Goals: Dobson

Att: 13,569