ESL Round 22 wrap up

Sunday's games:

Huddersfield 30-30 Widnes

Widnes hit back from 22-6 down to end Huddersfield's winning streak at home.

The Giants seemed certain to win their sixth straight match at the McAlpine Stadium.

But Jules O'Neill landed a conversion eight minutes from time to level the scores.

The home side made a brilliant start when Marcus St Hilaire put them ahead with barely 90 seconds on the clock.

Gene and Julian Bailey added further touchdowns, with teenager Paul White adding three conversions on his full Super League debut to put the Giants firmly in the driving seat.

But substitute Phil Cantillon led the Vikings revival with two tries in five first-half minutes.

Huddersfield (30) 30: Tries: St Hilaire, O'Hare, Gene, Bailey, Reilly Goals: White 5 Widnes (18) 30: Tries: Devlin 2, Cantillon 2, Demetriou Goals: J. O'Neill 5

Wigan 40-0 Halifax

The Warriors reclaimed third place in the Tetley's Super League with a seven-try victory over the bottom club.

Halifax were 30-0 down at halftime as they slumped to a club record-equalling 21st consecutive defeat.

They also suffered a double injury blow, losing both Dane Dorahy and Jaymes Chapman.

Second-rower Stephen Wild, making only his second start after an horrific knee ligament injury earlier this season, grabbed two tries for the home side.

There were further tries for Brett Dallas, Shaun Briscoe, Andy Farrell, Craig Smith and Danny Sculthorpe.

Wigan (30) 40: Tries: Wild 2, Dallas, Farrell, Briscoe, C. Smith, Sculthorpe Goals: Farrell 5, Tickle Halifax (0) 0

Castleford 16-29 Warrington

Warrington improved their Tetley's Super League play-off hopes with a victory over their top-six rivals.

The Wolves bounced back from conceding an early try to lead 14-4 at the break and shot further ahead early in the second half when substitute Sid Domic scored.

Castleford hauled themselves back by reducing the deficit to 22-16 before Warrington made the game safe with a late try from winger Brent Grose and a drop goal by Nathan Wood.

The Tigers had made a dream start when Mitch Healey's perfectly-judged kick to the corner set up a fourth-minute touchdown for winger Paul Mellor.

Castleford (4) 16: Tries: Mellor, Johnson, Godwin Goals: Healey 2 Warrington (14) 29: Tries: P. Wood, N. Wood, Domic, Grose Goals: Appo 6 Drop Goals: N. Wood

Wakefield 26-26 London

A last-minute try from Michael Korkidas recscued a point for Wakefield in a seesaw battle at Belle Vue.

The Wildcats looked down and out when Nigel Roy scored his second try and London's fifth on 49 minutes.

But the home side hit back with tries by Richard Newlove, Jamie Rooney and Korkidas to draw level.

They would have won it had Rooney landed his conversion following Korkidas' touchdown.

Wakefield (10) 26: Tries: Newlove 2, Rooney, Korkidas Goals: Rooney 5 London (20) 26: Tries: Roy 2, Peden, King 2 Goals: Thorman 3

Saturday's game:

St Helens 28-18 Hull

St Helens beat Hull in a fiery Tetley's Super League clash at Knowsley Road on Saturday.

Jon Wilkin claimed two tries and John Stankevitch and Paul Wellens also crossed as Saints continued their march towards the play-offs.

Craig Greenhill and Kirk Yeaman went over late on to add to an earlier Adam Maher try for Hull, but it was not enough for Shaun McRae's injury-hit side.

The energy-sapping conditions took their toll on the players.

And tempers frayed when Greenhill and Barry Ward were both sent to the sin-bin for fighting late on.

St Helens (16) 28: Tries: Stankevitch, Wellens, Wilkin 2 Goals: Long 6 Hull (8) 18: Tries: Maher, Greenhill, Yeaman Goals: Cooke 3

Friday's game:

Leeds 16-18 Bradford

Bradford sent Leeds spinning to their first home defeat of the season to open up a two-point lead at the top of the Tetley's Super League.

Watched by a crowd of 23,035, the Rhinos led 10-6 a halftime thanks to tries from Gary Connolly and Keith Senior after Lesley Vainikolo had broken the deadlock with a stunning length-of-the-field score.

But the Bulls hit back to lead 18-10 courtesy of touchdowns from Rob Parker and Mike Forshaw. Leeds closed the gap to two points when Rob Burrow pounced on a mistake by Tevita Vaikona but the home side could not avenge their previous two defeats to their Yorkshire rivals.

The game was fiercely contested early on, with Mike Forshaw and Matt Adamson swapping punches.

But the deadlock was finally broken when Vainikolo took a Kevin Sinfield kick a metre off his own tryline and set off down the left touchline.

The Kiwi powerhouse skipped away from the challenges of Willie Poching and Mark Calderwood before cutting inside to dive flamboyantly over the line.

Leeds responded well and went into the interval in front.

And they thought they had extended their lead after just a minute of the second half only for hooker Matt Diskin to be ruled offside after pouncing on a Sinfield kick.

The Bulls then went back in front through Parker before Jamie Peacock and Forshaw combined for an outstanding try.

Peacock showed a clean pair of heels as he broke from 30 metres out and then had the awareness to offload for Forshaw, who took a great catch as he dived over.

Paul Deacon maintained his 100% record to give the visitors an 18-10 lead but the Rhinos hit back when Burrow pulled another try back on the hour.

Leeds look set to avenge their Challenge Cup final defeat but failed once again to break down a resolute Bulls defence.

Leeds (10) 16: Tries: Connolly, Senior, Burrow Goals: Sinfield 2 Bradford (6) 18: Tries: Vainikolo, Parker, Forshaw Goals: Deacon 3