20 hours ago
Gong talks up 7 games as Doust
Stadium negotiations open 'positively' (Illawarra Mercury - 31/03/2005)
By Paul Zalunardo
Wollongong Sportsground Trust general manager Stuart Barnes described yesterday's start to negotiations over St.George Illawarra Dragons future use of WIN Stadium as 'positive'.
Barnes emerged from the two-hour meeting saying no concrete decisions were made.
"It was a good start, we are on the road now," Barnes said.
Barnes and Dragons chief executive Peter Doust were among those who attended the meeting.
Doust said he would not be making any comment on what took place in the meeting.
The Dragons' lease at WIN Stadium expires at the end of this season.
The club will play seven matches at its southern base this season but there are no guarantees of that situation being repeated in the future.
Sportsground Trust chairman Chris Christodoulou had previously stated that his organisation was looking to ink a four-year deal that would see the stadium continue to host seven NRL matches each season.
Redevelopment of Oki Jubilee Stadium will strengthen the argument of the Sydney arm of the club.
Negotiations are expected to continue for several months. The parties will meet again on April 15.
Copyright 2005 Illawarra Mercury