Huddersfield 24 - Wigan 16

Full back Paul Reilly grabbed a hat-trick as rejuvenated Huddersfield ended Wigan?s Super League revival at the Galpharm Stadium tonight by 24-16.

The Giants dominated in all departments against a Wigan side without several regular players and thoroughly deserved their third-successive league win.

Hooker Brad Drew also got on the scoresheet with a breakaway try whilst Michael De Vere landed four goals.

Wigan at least managed to finish with a flourish with two late tries from Jerome Guisset and one from Harrison Hansen but it was too little too late.

Wigan suffered a blow before kick-off when hooker Terry Newton, having overcome injury to make the trip, pulled out through illness.

The Great Britain international?s absence was apparent throughout the first 40 minutes as the visitors struggled to impose themselves.

Wigan did force one goal-line drop-out early on but Huddersfield dominated possession and it came as no surprise when they finally opened the scoring after 15 minutes.

Reilly was the man to break through after stand-off Stanley Gene wrong-footed the Wigan defence by stepping inside to send the full-back in under the posts. Centre Michael De Vere added the conversion.

Gene went close to grabbing a second when he made a quick dart for the line on the last tackle but Wigan managed to halt him short.

Wigan were given little respite but almost got themselves back into the game against the run of play when a hopeful high kick by Kevin Brown was spilled by Reilly.

The Warriors worked the ball wide from the resulting scrum and David Vaealiki put Brett Dallas over with a superb one-handed pass but the winger?s foot just brushed the touchline as Hefin O?Hare tackled.

Reilly added another, his second of the game, and De Vere converted for a 12-0 half-time lead.

Wigan returned after the break with renewed vigour but could not make the most of an early attack and Huddersfield cleared their lines after Jerry SeuSeu was penalised for a high tackle on Reilly.

The Warriors forced more pressure but Huddersfield put paid to any fightback when Brad Drew sprinted the length of the field for a third try on 51 minutes.

The Giants hooker showed surprising speed as he scooped up a Danny Orr kick deep inside his own half and charged away for his first Super League try.

De Vere?s third conversion increased Wigan?s woes. Huddersfield thought they had a fourth try when Gene on the hour after David March break but Chris Nero was penalised for incorrectly playing the ball.

The fourth try was not long in coming as Reilly powered his way through several Wigan tackles to complete his treble and De Vere was again on the mark.

The game was as good as over but Wigan were determined not to be held scoreless for the first time since April 2002 and claimed three late tries as the Giants eased off.

Poor defending was the reason for all three as Hansen found space out wide to open Wigan?s account.

Guisset then sauntered in for a second and then chased a kick to grab another. Chris Melling converted both of Guisset?s tries but the giants took the spoils to end a week dominated by the controversy following their Challenge Cup loss to St Helens on a high. Huddersfield: 24 (12) Tries: Reilly (3), Drew Goals: De Vere (4)

Wigan: 16 (0) Tries: Guisset (2), Hansen Goals: Melling (2)

Huddersfield: Reilly, O?Hare, Evans, De Vere, St Hilaire, Gene, March, Jackson, Drew, Gannon, Nero, Smith, Roarty. Replacements: Slicker, Crabtree, Grayshon, White.

Wigan: Radlinski, Dallas, Wild, Vaealiki, Aspinwall, Brown, Orr, Seu Seu, Godwin, Guisset, Tickle, Hansen, Beswick. Replacements: Hargreaves, Allen, Colbon, Melling.

Referee: Ashley Klein (London)

Thanks to: for another excellent article.