Jets strong second half makes the difference

A much improved second half performance from the Newtown Jets saw them safely home by 44-22 against the Auckland Vulcans, in the fifth round NSW Cup match played at Henson Park on Saturday afternoon.

 Newtown dominated possession and controlled the ball in the last quarter of the game, with the Jets laying on a further four tries after the teams had been locked up at 22-all midway through the second half.
The Vulcans began the match in great style, nearly scoring twice in the first ten minutes before posting a converted try. The Jets started poorly, failing to play to their pre-match instructions and turning over a lot of ball. Nippy fullback Luke Towers prised open the Vulcans defence in the 20th minute after Newtown had gained a repeat set in Auckland's quarter. The Jets quickly added tries through halfback Liam Foran and team captain Jason Wells, only to concede two more tries to the Vulcans late in the first half. Newtown went to the break with a narrow 18-16 lead, along with centre Sonny Tuigamala still in the sin-bin for an indiscretion committed in preventing a Vulcans' try just prior to halftime.
Luke Towers increased Newtown's lead to 22-16 with his second try ten minutes into the second half, but the Vulcans responded with a converted try to tie the match up at 22-all with twenty minutes left in the game. The Jets' impressive second-half completion rate and their dominance of possession and territory in the game's final quarter enabled the home team to pile on four late tries, assisted no doubt by the Vulcans' fatigue factor in the unseasonably warm conditions.
The Newtown Jets play away for the first time this season when they take on formidable adversaries in Wentworthville next Sunday, the 18th May. This sixth round NSW Cup match at Ringrose Park kicks off at 3.00pm


Henson Park

Saturday, 10th April 2010

Kick-Off: 3.00pm.


Newtown Jets 44:

Jason Wells 2, Kane Linnett 2, Luke Towers 2, Liam Foran, Ray Moujalli tries;

Chris Tuatara-Morrison 6 goals 


Auckland Vulcans 22:

Sione Louisi, Sione Tongia, James Gavet, Pita Godinet tries;

Patrick Ah Van 3 goals.



Newtown led 18-16.


Newtown's team was:

1 - LukeTowers

2 - Tu'u Maori, 5 - Chris Tuatara-Morrison 

3 - Kane Linnett, 4 - Sonny Tuigamala 

6 - Johnathon Ford, 7 - Liam Foran 

16 - Tinirau Arona 

17 - Ryan Verlinden, 12 - Jason Wells (Capt.)

8 - Charlie Leaeno, 10 - Ray Moujalli

9 - Keith Peters.


13 - Jason Baitieri , 14 - Khalid Deeb 

19 - Russell Aitken, 21 - Mose Masoe,  

23 - James Koloamatangi .



Fine, sunny and warm.


Referee: Michael Laverty

Touch Judges: Jay Farlow, Matt Damaso.