Melbourne Storm prop Robbie Kearns says making the NSW State of Origin squad was not in his season?s calculations at the start of the year, yet he is delighted by the prospect of making a return to the representative fold.
?I didn?t give it (NSW selection) too much thought at the start of the year,? Kearns admitted.
?After last year?s disappointment on a personal level I just really wanted to get back and start playing good football for the Storm and try and help the club get out of what has been a tough couple of years.
?I?m stoked to be named in the squad, I didn?t know when it was being named so to get the call this morning is sensational - I?m over the moon.?
The 31-year-old was hampered by an ankle injury last year that restricted him to just 13 games for the Storm and causing him to fall off the Origin selector?s radar.
?Unfortunately I got injured before last year?s Origin series and it?s one of those things where you are out of sight out of mind,? Kearns added.
?I was hopeful of getting a recall but if it didn?t come it didn?t come. I?ve always said I?ve most probably had my day in the sun as far as rep football is concerned but if they keep picking me I?ll keep playing.?
Meanwhile Storm halfback Matt Orford will undergo scans later this afternoon to determine the extent of the knee injury he suffered against the Broncos yesterday.
Orford left the field four minutes into the second half after partially dislocating his right kneecap; the 25-year-old has already missed two matches this year with a separate medial ligament injury.
STORM TRAINING THIS WEEK: Tuesday: 10am, Gosch?s Paddock Wednesday: 1.30pm, Olympic Park Friday: 10am, Olympic Park
For further information contact:
James Avery: Phone (03) 9421 3222 Mobile: 0411 623 024 email@example.comLike