North Sydney win a thriller Bear

After a drop in form of late the North Sydney Bears have arisen once more with a thrilling win over the Western Suburbs Magpies on Mothers Day at North Sydney Oval.

The accomplished Bears backline played mistake free and exciting footy dominating most of the first half. With Billy Ngawini and Joseph Swamy creating the moves, the tries were spectacular with Lester Salanoa catching a bomb and diving over to score and Chris Tuatara dazzling in a 50 meter intercept try. But the Bears forwards also fronted up with outstanding performances from Jamie Feeney and Matt Thurston playing for the full 80 min and creating the opportunities to get the ball out for the backline to fire. Stand in coach and former Balmain first grade grand finalist Michael Pobjie described the last quarter as a "hair puller".

Wests Richard Parker was sent from the field for a hit on Norths Michael Harper. But West gained position and with more room to more the ball, they scored bringing the score to 26-24 to the Bears with a conversion still to come. The conversion missed, the Magies making a further two runs at the Bears line. But Norths stood strong the final score remaining 26-24.

Michael Pobjie gave prase to Jamie and Matt commenting "Jamie Feeney lead from the front and kept going all day". "Matt Thurston gave 110% 'he was like a machine'".

Watch out for Jamie and Matt against the Mighty Rabbitohs this Saturday 14th May, 5:30pm at Aussie Stadium prior to the Souths V Storm first grade match.

Jersey Flegg

The Flegg boys also did a terrific job fighting it down to the wire against the Magpies. A dominating first half by the Bears finishing 10-6 erupted into a great big arm wrestle in the 2nd. With Zac Jordan steering the play, fullback Anthony Beare continued his great form while Mick Morris was outstanding making many great attacking runs. With two minutes left on the clock and the score 22-16 to Wests the Bears did not panic as Lee Cameron scored and Reece Watson converted bringing the score to 22 all. The Bears manoeuvred into position to attempt a field goal and missed and were in position again as the final bell went and full time was called.

Next match for the Flegg boys is a stand alone game against South Sydney at Red fern Oval on Friday the 13th of May at 8:00pm.

More news on the Mighty North Sydney Bears go to