Parramatta Eels' winning streak ended by Roosters

Parramatta Eels' winning streak ended by Roosters

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels' three-match winning streak has been ended by the Roosters in front of a sell-out crowd at Parramatta Stadium, going down 48-12.


The Parramatta Eels struggled to contain the Roosters from the start of the match, with Mitchell Aubusson scoring a try after just six minutes.


It was a dropped ball from Feleti Mateo that gave the Roosters another chance four minutes later, with Todd Carney spotting some space on the right side when counter-attacking and Sam Perrett steamed through to pick it up before passing to Shaun Kenny-Dowall to score.


The referees were not afraid to blow penalties in the first half and with consecutive sets of six, Mitchell Pearce was able to slip through the line before offloading to Anthony Minichiello for a try.


Down 18-0, the Hayne Plane took off in the 30th minute, dragging two defenders towards the line before he completely broke free to score.


However the Roosters hit straight back when no one cleaned up a Hayne bomb. Roosters centre Kane Linnett demonstrated considerable speed to get away from the defence but even though he was run down by Hayne, Linnett was able to offload to Phil Graham who scored.


Right on half time Timana Tahu made a break but offloaded back to the Roosters. They in turn lost the ball and Nathan Hindmarsh picked it up, stepped a couple of players then outpaced everyone over 20 metres to score his first try of the season.


It put the game within reach of the Eels at the break, down just 24-12. However two minutes into the second half Jeff Robson lost the ball and the Roosters spread it wide for Kane Linnett to score, pushing the deficit to 30-12.


The Eels had their chance to hit back when Joel Reddy pushed through two defenders but he was deemed held up.


It was the same for the Roosters in the 51st minute when Graham toed ahead a Pearce kick but he lost the ball over the line due to great defence by Krisnan Inu.


The Roosters did score in the 63rd minute though when Kenny-Dowall floated across field, sent it out wide, before the ball was turned back inside to Minichiello.


In the final 10 minutes the Eels were trying everything to score but it backfired when a loose offload was scooped up by Roosters back-rower Frank Paul Nuuausala and he scored. Phil Graham scored with a few minutes remaining to take the final score to 48-12.


PARRAMATTA EELS 12 (Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Hindmarsh tries; Luke Burt 2 goals) SYDNEY ROOSTERS 42 (Anthony Minichiello 2, Phil Graham 2, Mitchell Aubusson, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Kane Linnett, Frank Paul Nuuausala tries; Todd Carney 8 goals) at Parramatta Stadium. Crowd: 19,824.


Parramatta Eels Toyota Cup downed despite grandstand finish

The NYC Eels' were downed by the Roosters 28-26 in a dream curtain raiser that had the crowd ready pumped for the main event.

Despite another late comeback from the Eels - getting within two points - the Roosters managed to hold on 28-26. Both sides boasted S.G Ball representatives and it was considered to be an S.G Ball Grand Final rematch and a chance of retribution for the Eels for their Grand Final loss.

The Eels' started the match shaky. For ten minutes the Eels were constantly defending however, their defence held strong holding the Roosters attack out on numerous occasions.

The Eels were offered some late opportunities but to no avail as the Roosters held on 28-26.

 Parramatta Eels 26 (Tries: Fred Lang-Shui, Trent Jennings, Keith Wicks, Jacob Loko, Dean Blackman Goals: Ken Sio 3/5) defeated by

Sydney Roosters 28 (Tries: Bradley Manton, Jerome Leolahi, Jacob Miller, Anthony Gelling, Isaac Maliota Goals: Brad Murray 4/5