Queensland Cup - Round 21 -

A depleted Toowoomba outfit put in a valiant effort before going down to Burleigh 30-6 in the ABC Television match at Pizzey Park. The Bears suffered their own injury woes losing big front rower Ali Brown after only two minutes with a broken arm. Five eight Ryan Gundry regathered his own kick in goal to score an early try and give Burleigh a 6-0 lead and this was increased soon after when second row Chris Nahi crossed for a strong try. Nearing the 30 minute mark in the match the Bears again put on back to back tries to virtually seal the Clydesdales fate. Nahi?s second row partner Stan Berryman scored first and then centre Adam Hutchinson strolled over to give Burleigh a handy 24-0 scoreline.

The second half proved to be an arm wrestle in the greasy conditions and it was not until the 70th minute, when Gundry posted his double, that the Bears extended their lead to 30-0 and wrapped up the win. Burleigh has the best defensive record in the Queensland Cup and this was evident in the clash, Toowoomba crossing for their only try after the final siren. Gundry was named the QRL ABC TV man of the match after his non-stop display.

Redcliffe joined Burleigh on top of the ladder with a thrilling 27-20 win over Wynnum in front of a big crowd at Kougari Oval. The Seagulls led 8-6 at half-time but could not withstand their spirited bayside rivals in the second half. Centre Greg Bourke crossed for a double for the home team with winger Herman Lafaele notching the Seagulls other try. Try scoring ?machine? Aaron Barba crossed for one of the Dolphins four tries, taking his season tally to an amazing 27 tries. Michael Roberts and Andrew Wynyard both slotted field goals in a tense match to ensure Redcliffe?s win.

An injury ravaged Ipswich started their match against Easts at Langlands Park brightly with Kyle Warren scoring an early try, but after Warren left the field with an injury the Tigers dominated the match to win 40-22. Easts crossed for five tries in the first half, the last a 90 metre intercept by skipper Scott Thorburn, to go to the break with a 30-6 advantage. Easts added tries to front row Jason Wrigley and winger Justin Loomans to clinch a good win. The Jets fought back in the second half to trail 36-18 at one point but basic mistakes cost the team dearly.

North Queensland after leading 8-0 at half-time went on to defeat the Comets 28-4 in the match at Browne Park. The Young Guns crossing for five tries with winger Simon Phillips kicking 4 goals.

Tweed Heads cemented a finals berth with a hard fought 24-12 win over Souths Logan at Piggabeen. The Magpies led 12-8 at half-time with tries to captain Nathan Roe and lock forward Waylon Muntz. An early second half try to man of the match David Hicks gave Seagulls the lead 14-12 and two further tries secured the win.

Norths embarrassed Wests with a 78-0 win over the Panthers at Bishop Park. Five eight Cooper Cronk crossed for four tries for the Devils with winger Quentin Laulu-Togagae notching a hat-trick.