R22: Saints romp past Huddersfield

Huddersfield Giants were given an early opportunity to assess the size of the task on their hands if they hope to lift the Challenge Cup for the first time in 53 years after a 56-8 mauling at St Helens.

Just three weeks before the two sides meet in the Twickenham showpiece occasion the Saints put the Giants to the sword in the engage Super League as they ran in 10 tries at Knowsley Road.

It was a case of after the Lord Mayor?s Show for the Giants, who came back down to earth with a bump just five days after their shock semi-final victory over Leeds Rhinos.

And any hopes they had of a first Super League victory at Knowsley Road were over by half-time as Saints were in total command leading 30-4.

Saints were in front after just nine minutes when a slick five-man passing move ended with Jamie Lyon going over and Lyon turned provider four minutes later as he sent hooker Keiron Cunningham crashing over.

The Giants grabbed their only points of the half on 18 minutes when Robbie Paul?s perfectly-judged grubber kick was pounced upon by Stuart Jones.

But the Saints response was almost immediate as Leon Pryce?s midfield break gave Jason Cayless a clear stroll to the line and there was more agony for the visitors when James Graham benefited from Jon Wilkin?s pass to crash over beneath the posts.

Saints grabbed their fifth try in the final minute of the half when Matt Gardner lost possession deep inside his own half and was made to pay as Lyon quickly swung the ball to the right for Vinnie Anderson to touch down.

Lyon maintained his 100% record with conversions with his fifth success to help his side to their commanding 30-4 f time advantage.

The avalanche of points continued as the home side claimed two more tries in the opening 11 minutes of the second half as wingers Francis Meli and Ade Gardner stretched their lead to 38-4 as Lyon missed his first kicks of the night.

The only surprise was that it took Daniel Anderson?s men another 13 minutes before they troubled the scoreboard again and this time it was full back Paul Wellens who joined in the fun which Lyon converted.

On a disappointing night for Jon Sharp?s men after their semi-final heroics they claimed a consolation try 10 minutes from time when another Paul kick allowed Paul Smith to claim his side?s second try.

But the home side chalked up the half century when Jon Wilkin became his side?s ninth try scorer after finishing off a superb Vinnie Anderson break and Paul Sculthorpe kicked the simple conversion to reach the 50 point mark.

And Maurie Fa?asavalu rounded off a g reat night for Saints when he became his sode?s 10th different try scorer two minutes from time which Sculthorpe converted.

St Helens: Wellens, Gardner, Lyon, Talau, Meli, Pryce, V. Anderson, P. Anderson, Cunningham, Cayless, Wilkin, Sculthorpe, Graham.

Replacements: Gilmour, Fozzard, Roby, Fa?asavalu.

Huddersfield Giants: Donlan, Aspinwall, Brown, De Vere, Gardner, Thorman, Paul, Mason, Drew, Gannon, Smith, Jones, Wild.

Replacements: Nero, Snitch, Grayshon, Raleigh.

St Helens: (30) 56. Tries: Lyon, Cunningham, Cayless, Graham, V. Anderson, Meli, Gardner, Wellens, Wilkin, Fa?asavalu. Goals: Lyon 6, Sculthorpe 2.

Huddersfield Giants: (4) 8. Tries: Wild, Smith.

Referee: A Klein (London)

Att: 8,378

Source: superleague.co.uk