Only one player suspended from six charges across the weekend - Parramatta Eels enforcer Manu Ma'u w...
15 hours ago
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have reportedly budgeted $2.5 million to be spent on new players in the middle of next year.
Current NRL wooden spooners, Souths have 80% of their players coming off contract at the end of 2005.
Rabbitoh's chief executive Shane Richardson said current players would be given every opportunity to impress but will face the axe should they to fail to perform.
Having the bulk of players off-contract at the same time was a ploy Richardson had used before.
"It's something that I did with Cronulla, with Penrith and with Hull," he said.
"It's worked in the past and hopefully it will work here as well.
"The reality of the situation is that we were wooden spooners last year and that's just not good enough.
"We have to look at moving the club forward. We will have nearly $2.5 million to spend next year after the June 30 deadline.
"So if the players who are there aren't doing the job for us we will have to find players who can."
Souths have already strengthened their squad for 2005 with former Roosters Shannon Hegarty and Peter Cusack being signed.