Roosters Win on a Wet Wet Monday Night

The Sydney Roosters have defeated Wests Tigers 19-10 to regain first position on the NRL ladder after hard fought and sometimes scrappy affair in terrible conditions at the Sydney Football Stadium tonight.

15,204 fans braved the rain to see the Tigers hand the first half led to Roosters on the back of mistakes coming out of their own end. But it took until the 27th minute for the Roosters to get on the score board through Amos Roberts after lead up work from Anthony Tupou and Mitchell Aubusson, Craig Fitzgibbon converted from near touch to take a 6-0 lead.

It only took five minutes for the Roosters to get on the scoreboard again, the Tigers spilt the ball in their own red zone to give the Roosters a chance and Tupou put on a inside offload to Mitch Aubusson to score under the posts, Fitzgibbon converted again and it was 12-0. The Tigers gave the Roosters more chances but a lack of patience from the Roosters cost them any chance of adding to the score, a knock on from a kick by the Roosters let the Tigers off the hook and the half time score was 12-0 to the Roosters.

Tim Sheens would have been pulling his hair out after the Tigers turned over possession on numerous occasions in the 1st half and were lucky to be only 12 points down.

Whatever Sheens said ay halftime worked as the Tigers took just 6mins to get on the scoreboard in the 2nd half and it was all Robbie Farah, firstly he kicked for touch from the 20metre restart and got he scrum feed then he ran from dummy half , the Roosters all hung off him and he ran 20 metres to score, Brett Hodgson Converted the Tigers were within 6 points of the Roosters.

But the Roosters responded after Benji Marshall put in a kick off the side of his boot and Mitch Aubusson swooped on it and beat two defenders in a 70 metre run to score, Fitzgibbon converted again to extend the lead but to 12 points, 18-6 Roosters.

In the 60th min the Tigers looked to have scored thru Beau Ryan from a kick but it was denied by the Video Referee, replays looked like Ryan had scored the try but Video Referee Chris Ward said No Try. The Tigers must have thought then and there that it was not their night.

The rain came down hard and the Tigers managed to get another try in the 71st minute by Taniela Tuiaki on a short side play. Hodgson missed the conversion which left them 8 points a drift with time running out. But there was some hope after Farah kicked a 40/20 three minutes later and gave his side a chance with a scrum feed 15 metres from the Roosters line. Farah ran from dummy half got a ball away Hodgson ran wide and rolled one back for Marshall who lost the ball forward as he tried to step on the slippery SFS surface and their chance of victory was gone.

A last minute field goal to Roosters half Mitchell Pearce giving a full time score of Roosters 19, Tigers 10.

Robbie Farah was far and away the best for the Tigers. Mark O