Round 2: Yeaman hatrick in Hull's win
over Wakey

Kirk Yeaman scored a hat-trick as Hull continued their promising start to the new engage Super League season with a comfortable 40-14 win over Wakefield.

The Black and Whites produced a fluent attacking performance to run in seven tries at the KC Stadium but their win owed as much to a superb defensive effort.

Talisman and captain Richard Swain was absent with a thigh injury but the team did not suffer with tries spread between Lee Radford, Motu Tony, Shaun Briscoe, Richard Horne and Yeaman.

Although Hull went ahead as early as the third minute, when Paul Cooke fed Radford to mark his second home debut with a try, it was Wakefield who showed the earliest promise.

Their coach Tony Smith, a former Hull scrum-half, was critical of his side despite running Bradford close last weekend, and he will no doubt be further aggrieved at his side?s failure to make the most of their possession.

After Richard Whiting conceded a penalty, five sets of six followed but the Wildcats failed to register anything other than David March?s kick at goal that brought the scores closer together at 6-2.

Twice they were thwarted on the line by the excellent Briscoe and it was only a penalty conceded for crossing that prevented them posting a sixth straight set.

After weathering the Wakefield storm and receiving a standing ovation from the crowd of 11,860 as a reward, Hull punished their visitors? profligacy further by posting their second try.

Cooke, captain for the day, attacked the left wing and his weighted pass sent Yeaman flying into a gap to touch down on his 100th appearance.

Oliver Elima was then sent to the sinbin for a professional foul as Wakefield struggled to contain Hull, and the 12 men were made to pay soon after as Motu Tony scooted in from dummy half to score under the posts. Danny Brough added his third conversion to open up a 16 point lead at 18-2.

Tony then joined Elima on the sidelines after a series of infringements, and although Wakefield did not score in his absence, they did register their first try shortly before the break ? David Solomona?s arcing run taking him over in the left corner.

His effort was left worthless however, as Yeaman intercepted Monty Betham?s wayward pass to canter to the line moments later. Hull led 22-6 at the interval.

The second period began in a similar manner, as Hull posted two tries within minutes of each other to seemingly put the tie beyond Wakefield?s reach. First Richard Horne created a deserved opening for Briscoe, before Horne was then handed a similar opportunity by Jamie Thackray. Brough converted both for a lead of 34-6.

Solomona then claimed his second by way of a response and was quickly followed over the line by winger Paul White as Wakefield began to fight back.

They were assisted in their cause by Gareth Raynor?s sinbinning for holding the lively Sam Obst, although their failure to convert any of their tries left them with a considerable amount of work to do.

Any faint hopes were soon extinguished however, as Brough?s chip kick created havoc in the Wakefield defence and Sid Domic sent Yeaman crashing over for his treble, backing up his brace against Castleford last week.

Hull: Briscoe, Blacklock, Whiting, Yeaman, Raynor, R. Horne, Brough, Thackray, Tony, King, Radford, Domic, Cooke
Replacements: Higgins, Carvell, McMenemy, Lupton.

Wakefield: Halpenny, White, Demetriou, Whittle, Tadulala, Jeffries, Obst, Korkidas, March, MacGillivray, Solomona, Catic, Betham.
Replacements: Henderson, Griffin, J. Field, Elima.

Hull: (22) 40.
Tries: Radford, Yeaman 3, Tony, Briscoe, R. Horne.
Goals: Brough 5, Cooke.

Wakefield: (6) 14.
Tries: Solomona 2, White.
Goals: March.

Referee: S Ganson (St Helens)

Att: 11,860