Round 4: Huddersfield take Wakefield in

Albert Torrens crashed over in the dying moments as Huddersfield snatched victory by 18-16 in a tense engage Super League encounter at Wakefield on Saturday night.

The Wildcats spent most of the second half on the back foot at Belle Vue but had been clinging on to a two-point lead until Torrens sneaked over with three minutes remaining.

Two tries from David Solomona had helped the Wildcats open up a 16-8 interval lead but the Kiwi forward allowed the Giants back into the game when he was sin-binned in the second half.

Semi Tadulala also crossed for the Wildcats while Chris Thorman scored 10 points for the Giants.

It was another freezing night in West Yorkshire but the Belle Vue pitch was in good condition after spending much of the week under cover to protect it from snow and frost.

Huddersfield drew first blood as two penalties allowed Thorman to gain good ground and then kick the first goal of the match.

The Wildcats responded well and quickly switched play to the other end but David March almost inexplicably missed a chance to level the scores when he slammed a straightforward penalty against an upright.

The home side lacked nothing in passion though and claimed the lead when Solomona was contentiously awarded a try on 12 minutes.

The second row powered to the line and although some television angles appeared to show him tackled short, he was given the benefit of the doubt after lengthy deliberation by video referee Dave Campbell.

Huddersfield hit straight back with a flowing move involving Stephen Wild and Robbie Paul that saw Thorman race in behind the posts from a smart overhead pass by James Evans.

Home fans were incensed at a perceived forward pass by Paul but Thorman capitalised and added the conversion.

The Wildcats again came back at their visitors and levelled as Tadulala raced away from a Kevin Henderson pass.

Solomona then crashed over from dummy half ? Campbell having little doubt this time ? and after missing three attempts, March was replaced as kicker and Ben Jeffries converted.

The stand-off added a penalty but Huddersfield moved back within two points as Thorman engineered a superb try six minutes into the second half.

Paul Smith gathered well from Thorman?s astute kick and sent Steve Snitch racing over to score against his old club. Thorman again added the extras.

The Giants gained a significant advantage as Solomona was sin-binned for holding down Eorl Crabtree and the prop almost capitalised as he charged over but Mark Applegarth prevented him grounding the ball.

But despite almost incessant Giants pressure, Wakefield managed to hold out for the 10 minutes Solomona was off the field and Colum Halpenny went close to relieving the pressure on the break.

Yet Solomona?s absence had seen the momentum swing in Huddersfield?s direction and the Giants battled to the end to secure their second win.

The Giants were awarded a scrum after the ball was knocked down and the ball was worked wide for Australian Torrens to dive in.

Wakefield: Halpenny, White, Demetriou, Henderson, Tadulala, Jeffries, March, Griffin, Betham, MacGillivray, Solomona, J. Field, Applegarth.
Replacements: Korkidas, Elima, Wrench, Saxton.

Huddersfield: Reilly, Aspinwall, Evans, Torrens, Gardner, Thorman, Paul, Crabtree, Drew, Snitch, Nero, Jones, Wild.
Replacements: Jackson, March, Smith, McDonald.

Wakefield (16) 16.
Tries: Solomona 2, Tadulala. Goals: Jeffries 2.

Huddersfield (8) 18.
Tries: Thorman, Snitch, Torrens. Goals: Thorman 3.

Referee: S Ganson (St Helens)

Att: 4,110