Round 6: Hull
clinch close-fought victory over Wildcats

Hull arrested a run of three straight engage Super League defeats against Wakefield at Belle Vue, although their 28-20 victory was not as convincing as they might have wished.

When he reviews the game, their coach John Kear may well point to the lead they took into the interval as being a key turning point in their success although he will consider himself fortunate that Wakefield?s talisman David Solomona was withdrawn injured after 20 minutes.

Hull had trailed 10-0 at one stage with Solomona outstanding and they looked way off the pace, although their undeserved half-time advantage paved the way for them to just shade a see-saw second period.

After opening a lead through Semi Tadulala and Oliver Elima, the Wildcats were guilty of crucial errors close to Hull?s line with further tries going begging, and Hull took full advantage of their profligacy, Richard Whiting and Kirk Yeaman both crossing to take them in ahead at the break.

Although Hull started the brighter, Danny Brough having a try ruled out for offside, it was Wakefield who opened the scoring on eight minutes through Tadulala.

The winger soared above Kirk Dixon to collect Jamie Rooney?s kick before grounding although Rooney, back after eight months out with a knee injury, missed both an early penalty and the conversion to post a lead of just four points.

Rooney made no mistake nine minutes later though, when he was handed the chance to convert following Elima?s try.

The home side made 80 metres down field and Elima made light work of brushing off Hull?s cover defence to score under the posts.

Kear introduced Motu Tony at hooker in an attempt to spark his side and the switch worked when they made their first impression on the scoreboard on 26 minutes.

Richard Horne fed Whiting a fine pass and the loose forward made a beautiful step inside to cross for his first try of the season. Paul Cooke converted to bring the scores closer at 10-6.

Sam Obst was then ankle-tapped by Tony as he threatened to post a Wakefield response although it was Yeaman who registered the last score of the first period.

The centre collected Tony?s pass to barge over for his eighth try of the season which Cooke goaled to hand Hull the lead.

Garreth Carvell quickly began the second period on the right note for Hull, pushing his way over the line after collecting a pass from Gareth Raynor.

Wakefield responded in fine style though, with both Tadulala and Jason Demetriou going over.

First Tadulala took advantage of an overlap to breeze in at the corner, before Demetriou barged his way over as another Rooney kick wreaked havoc in the Hull defence.

With Wakefield throwing the ball around at every opportunity Hull struggled to hang on and were reliant on some strong cover defence to keep them in touch.

Their doggedness eventually paid off though when Paul King was able to cross for what proved to be the clinching try just after the hour mark.

With Wakefield camped on their own line, Horne produced a piece of magic at the play-the-ball to send King powering over.

Brough added the conversion and although they were forced to scramble in defence for several minutes after, Raynor confirmed the win on 75 minutes, marking his return from injury with a try after collection Cooke?s looping pass.

Wakefield: Halpenny, Buchanan, Henderson, Demetriou, Tadulala,Rooney, Obst, MacGillivray, March, Catic, Solomona, Elima, Betham. Replacements: Griffin, Korkidas, J. Field, White.

Hull: Briscoe, Dixon, Domic, Yeaman, Raynor, Cooke, R. Horne, Thackray, Brough, King, Chester, Radford, Whiting. Replacements: Tony, Lupton, Wheeldon, Carvell.

Wakefield: (10) 20. Tries: Tadulala 2, Elima, Demetriou. Goals: Rooney 2.

Hull: (12) 28. Tries: Whiting, Yeaman, Carvell, King, Raynor. Goals: Cooke 3, Brough.

Referee: R Silverwood (Dewsbury)

Att: 5,613